Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Gossamer Threads Future Ops...

Quote Reply
Gossamer Threads Future Ops...
Just curious to know with the release of G-list, G-community, and all the current upgrades to the Gossamer products, what's some of the future projects you guys have going on???
Also, is there any plans for a major overhaul of fileman?
Thanks...

</not a clue>
Quote Reply
Re: [Dinky] Gossamer Threads Future Ops... In reply to
Just a suggestion/query.

This is wrt using GT products under mod_perl. In case it is possible to have 1 copy of GT libraries be loaded and all the GT products use the same set instead of loading libraries independently with each/each copy of GT product. This would go a long way in easing out using multiple GT products or multiple copies of the same products under mod_perl in my opinion, though i could be wrong.

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [Dinky] Gossamer Threads Future Ops... In reply to
Future projects? LinksSQL, fixing bugs in GCommunity Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Payooo] Gossamer Threads Future Ops... In reply to
Yes, one big package including

GT Links SQL
GT Mail
GT Respond
GT List
GT Forum
GT Community

would be great!
Quote Reply
Re: [Steve1] Gossamer Threads Future Ops... In reply to
In Reply To:
Yes, one big package including

GT Links SQL
GT Mail
GT Respond
GT List
GT Forum
GT Community

would be great!

I believe a Portal Script similar to EZPublish based on LinksSQL and including an upgraded GT AutoRes, an upgraded GT List and an upgraded GT Community would be great. A new product GT Articles should be added to allow posting of articles and content.

Mail and Forums should be optional. Why? Mail is a heavy application and should ideally be on a semi-dedicated server. Plus I see mail as hard to compete in and hard to maintain unless it is a niche market. Forum, well I do not have experience with GT Forum but VBulletin clearly dominates the market in my opinion. And whatever product comes out it should output xml/rss much like VBulletin and Movable Type do. That's a pretty basic requirement now.

And finally, the new GT Portal script (my name suggestion) should be ready to work out of the box with no custom programming or having to pay anyone to write any plugin. Revenue should be derived via a $99. annual charge for access to the upgrades download area.

With all the custom work GT has done for so many clients it already has all the coding in place. It would be trivial to re-package and launch - with a special 50% discount for those who have paid for custom programming projects ;-)

Regards
Belize Tourism & Country Guide
Belize News

Last edited by:

mromero: Oct 7, 2004, 3:50 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [mromero] Gossamer Threads Future Ops... In reply to
Quote:
Revenue should be derived via a $99. annual charge for access to the upgrades download area.

Thats not really much (not even $10/month), considering how much development/support etc is given (unless I'm missing point, as I've only been up a little while =)).

When we first released the ULTRA Package ($200), it was all good, until people starting coming to us daily with silly questions (i.e how do I install a plugin?) .. which took up a lot of time. Due to this, we had to move the price up to $350 (to cover support costs). The package is worth over $1600 now ... so we've stopped developing for it (although upgrades are still free).

Anyway, in short... all I'm saying is that you need to accomidate for people being silly / wasting time / not reading the forums ... as this can easily take up a whole day when 5-10 people/day do it :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Gossamer Threads Future Ops... In reply to
In Reply To:
Quote:
Revenue should be derived via a $99. annual charge for access to the upgrades download area.

Thats not really much (not even $10/month), considering how much development/support etc is given (unless I'm missing point, as I've only been up a little while =)).

It would be for ACCESS to upgrades and bug fixes. Support would be separate, and "development" would be minimal since it would be a package that does NOT would not require endless "plugin this" and "plugin that" to run.

New tools are constantly coming on the market which is itself a moving target. GT should be exploring new revenue models and software platforms. The models of two market leaders in their field VBulletin and Movable Type both of which I use and am very happy with are good examples. The model followed by MT (particularly about faces in response to user feedback) in my opinion is exceptional so much so that they are main stream now.
Belize Tourism & Country Guide
Belize News
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Gossamer Threads Future Ops... In reply to
In Reply To:
When we first released the ULTRA Package ($200), it was all good, until people starting coming to us daily with silly questions (i.e how do I install a plugin?) .. which took up a lot of time.

Stuff like that is really custom work. I'm with GT on this one and say if you want additional features/custom work I can do it for a fee. You have to draw the line somewhere and you can't give code away. Remember, you have to make enough money to keep the doors open and the bandwidth flowin.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [mromero] Gossamer Threads Future Ops... In reply to
Quote:
It would be for ACCESS to upgrades and bug fixes. Support would be separate, and "development" would be minimal since it would be a package that does NOT would not require endless "plugin this" and "plugin that" to run.

Ah, sorry... I misunderstood you Blush

Quote:
that does NOT would not require endless "plugin this" and "plugin that" to run.

It doesn't really :-)

GT products have a stupid amount of features (I showed someone else it today, and they couldn't believe how far it has all gone, since version 1).

FWIW, GT are always working on improving something in their products (a lot goes on in the background, similar to myself/pugdog). Its not as easy as it looks Angelic

Anyway, just my 2 cents =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Gossamer Threads Future Ops... In reply to
In Reply To:
Stuff like that is really custom work. I'm with GT on this one and say if you want additional features/custom work I can do it for a fee. You have to draw the line somewhere and you can't give code away. Remember, you have to make enough money to keep the doors open and the bandwidth flowin

Couldn't have put it better myself :)

At the end of the day, GT, myself, and quite a few other developers, are doing this for a living. We can't live if we give everything away free ;) (not that I'm against giving free code away, or helping people out ... far from it <G>).

Anyway... enough posting.. I need to get some work done Angelic

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Gossamer Threads Future Ops... In reply to
I am just looking forward to having the headers issue sorted out.
One month down the line there is no feedback really on this.
Unfortunately the MTA that I am on is _Not_qmail_

Not complaining but just frustrated, and it would add insult to injury if i am made to believe that i have to pay for it as a Custom Job Frown

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Gossamer Threads Future Ops... In reply to
Quote:
Not complaining but just frustrated, and it would add insult to injury if i am made to believe that i have to pay for it as a Custom Job

Enhancements and bugs are two totally different things. I would certainly never expect a client to pay me to fix a bug in my code.

~Charlie