Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

RE: Links SQL 2.0.4 Available!

Quote Reply
RE: Links SQL 2.0.4 Available!
Hola!

before upgrading to 2.0.4 I'd ask you: what will be new in 2.1 release... user management like wwthreads?

thx:)

fabio

Quote Reply
Re: RE: Links SQL 2.0.4 Available! In reply to
Hi,

The two main features new in Links SQL 2.1 will be a new users manual, and built in file upload support. Other changes may happen but will be smaller most likely.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
To clarify a bit:

The file upload support will be similar to the Logo and Graphics plug ins I have, in that they use a field in the Links table for each image uploaded, even though the rest of the data will be stored in an external table.

It will not have all the functionality, so if a hook is left in, I'll modify the two plug-ins to use the built in file -upload routines, but do the extra graphics checking, and processing they do now, and which is planned.

The advantage of the new field, will be ability to access the files via the standard admin interface, rather than through an external script.

It won't be a true multiple file upload sytem, the way I've been working on, and now that I know what's planned, I should be able to get that out very shortly.

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
Hola!

First of all, a question about 2.0.4 update:

In version 2.0.3 I've noticed that if I put only the address (without the username) in subscribe.cgi form I can unsubscribe from the newsletter any of the users stored in the database. It sounds to me a bit dangerous as anybody migth juggle with user's preferences beyond control. I agree that you ought to know the exact email address but it would be safer with a double check...
maybe with the username too. Has this bug been fixed?

Now a sort of suggestion regarding a new user function:

Some weeks ago you wrote that you were looking at adding something about user profile management, similar to wwthreads user features. I know that a lot of people have interest on this kind of function. I think that the ability for a user to modify his profile (also for newsletter subscription/usubscription) only by accessing to a "control panel" with the use of ID and PW (and for confirmation with the validation code) would be great. I've read about pros and cons of this kind of interaction but we may add 3 fields that keep track of: registration date, last modification date, modification number in order to find a troublemaker user analysing the modification frequency... I hope to see, in the future releases, an enhancement to the user interface...

Thank you very much,

bye

fabio

Quote Reply
Hi,

As to the newsletter, what you could do is add:

if ($CFG->{user_required} and ! $USER) {
print $IN->redirect( Links::redirect_login_url ('subscribe') );
return;
}

to the top of subscribe.cgi, and that way if you have the user_required option on, the user has to be logged in to modify their status. I may look at adding this in as a separate option.

A profile page could be useful, I'll look at putting this in.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.