Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
PHP Forum
Hi,

I would like to suggest that GT add a PHP Forum to the General section of this forum. I know GT products are all Perl but a lot of GT users also use PHP. I for one would like to learn and it would be nice to be able to ask questions here (in a dedicated forum) rather than going elsewhere. Would anyone else be interested?

Thanks

Simon.
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] PHP Forum In reply to
Couple of words for you .. Internet Technologies Tongue

There arn't really enough posts regarding PHP to make it viable to add another forum. Alex may decide otherwise, but from previous conversations about this, I believe it was decided that it wouldn't be worth adding such a forum.

If you want PHP forums, then you may wanna try Tek-Tips.com. I'm a frequent visitor there, for helping users, and also asking questions mysql. The people there are very nice, and very helpful :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] PHP Forum In reply to
I agree that it would be useful to break out a new forum for PHP. Perhaps in the past the Internet Technologies forum has been sufficient, but there has been a dramatic rise in PHP-related posts over the past month or so, and one can only assume the trend will continue. I have looked elsewhere on the web for a really solid PHP forum, simply because a dedicated forum has the potential to attract more experienced PHP programmers over a long period of time. So far I haven't found anything... It would be nice to be able to conribute to the development of such a resource here.

You've got my vote, whatever that's worth.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] PHP Forum In reply to
While Andy is correct about past discussions related to branching out PHP into its own forum...and trust me, there were many heated debates and suggestions provided in the past for re-structuring the Gossamer Threads forums.

Yet, some good points have been presented in terms of the higher frequency of PHP related posts in recent months...I, for one, have moved from using Perl to PHP in a majority of my applications, although I still do quite a bit of ColdFusion development as well. So, having a PHP related forum would be nice....

Although there are some other PHP forums out there, like http://www.phpbuilder.com Community forums where there is a wealth of resources and useful discussions. I do search and read discussion threads and post messages there before I come to Gossamer Threads.

Another point is that yes, GT apps are written predominantly in Perl, yet, like with LINKS SQL, there is a PHP version, and I see a trend of dual development in Perl/PHP continuing in the Web software arena. So, having a forum dedicated to PHP questions would be helpful.

But I respect whatever GT staff decides since its their website, products, and discussion forum.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] PHP Forum In reply to
As we're primarily a Perl programming company, adding a dedicated PHP forum isn't that high a priority, since we don't really have a lot to offer on the subject. Better, I think, to leave the PHP to other internet forums. Although, I'm sure if you have a quick question or two, asking in the Internet Technologies forum ought to get a response.

In Reply To:
... and also asking questions mysql

Do you have any idea how many times I've made that same mistake? Too much mysql work, I think - my fingers automatically type mysql instead of myself. Crazy

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] PHP Forum In reply to
>>>Do you have any idea how many times I've made that same mistake? Too much mysql work, I think - my fingers automatically type mysql instead of myself. <<<

LOL... didn't even notice that Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!