Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
GTNews?
Will GT be offering an interactive news script? With all the PhP CMS systems being developed I was hoping you would also have something in development. I think LSQL could be modified to accomplish this, but a separate program would be so much easier to integrate with your other programs, especially with GTCommunity coming out soon. I thought I would ask before I spend all the time modifying LSQL to do this. Maybe GTNews?
Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] GTNews? In reply to
Hear hear!

I have been trying to "write up" Jack on this for a while and have just the same thought.

I think what could be developed is a Basic news script, which will have some other needs than Links, and with the flexibility of Links SQL it would be unbeatable. Key here is flexibility, for after having tried to find good news tools for years I ended up modding links 2.0 because of the flexibility that gave me. Don't think you can ever develop the perfect news tool for every site.

Developed correctly I think GT News could also serve as a Weblog which there seems to be a market for these days. And I can't see how you can run a Community without something like a news tool.

Have you made any concrete ideas for how your GT News would look? I'm ready to put out mine here too just have to do some (other) work this week first :-(

Talking of ideas - have anyone else thought of GT Content Manager yet?
Idea would be to adapt Links SQL so that you can give your not so techie users the possibility to edit most parts of your website online. Withouth knowing any codes or thinking too much about structure. With the moderator feature you can easily delegate out areas of the site to different users.
FileMan does some of this but doesn't allow for eg. Title, Date, and heaps of extra database fields I could think of using with a content manager to make it easy for my users.
I guess I should post this as a new thread... will do.
just got a bit exited.

-kjell
---
Kjell Knudsen
http://www.icbl.org
Quote Reply
Re: [kjellkk] GTNews? In reply to
I agree with you. I am waiting to see if GT will be developing this before I hack LSQL. It would seem that creating a news script/weblog would be easy enough to do, but I would also like to merge all the community scripts together. So a GTNews as a plugin, or separate script that could be plugged in, might be the way to go. A CMS would be the natural progression I would guess... but then again I have learned not to try an guess GT. They're the best and I am sure they have a vision.
Quote Reply
I would think GT Forum would be a better starting place for GT News than Links SQL. It would seem to be almost a change in templates and you would have GT News.

I would guess the big question is, will GT Comm only offer a common log in point among GT products, or will also manage the display of these products on a central page as a CMS?
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] GTNews? In reply to
I think that any of the products can easily be modified to show news items. Each product includes methods of categorizing news items.

With the central login system of GT community and the central module library, it will make it even easier to customize the type of application you are looking for.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] GTNews? In reply to
Yes, I agree.

Hmmm, maybe GTForum would be a better pick for interactive news.
Quote Reply
Maybe it depends of what kind of news should be published.

Linksql has a review system and detailed pages, maybe interesting for special tasks.

Like Eliot said, there are some products which can be modified for this.

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Quote Reply
Re: [Michael Skaide] GTNews? In reply to
While I agree that the GT products are good buildingblocks, or foundations, for just about any kind of website, I do miss a dedicated news/weblog system which offers new features at MovableType and PMachine level, such as bookmarklets; posting via e-mail; display by calendar; multiple categories; built-in comment systems; 'e-mail this entry' features; e-mail notification systems; recently updated lists; FTP files to remote hosts; XML-RPC and/or SOAP interfaces.

Some weblog-features, such as XML-feeds are available as plug-ins to Links. But it does not seem trivial to make Links into a full-featured news system. For example, some appearently quite fundamental changes are needed if we want, say, bookmarklets. On the other hand, many of these features would indeed also be relevant to "standard" Links applications, so we may just have to wait for Links SQL 2 ...