Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Download Payment Center

Quote Reply
Download Payment Center
Hi GT!

It seems that there are a hundred reasons why GT needs to set this one up.

Currently:
A developer creates a plugin
(sometimes)A developer submits the plugin the GT for distribution
(sometimes)A user downloads the plugin through the product admin
The developer asks the user to pay for their plugin
(some) developers register the plugin after payment
(some) developers upgrade the plugin after payment
(some) users decide not to pay or forget to pay for the plugin
(all) developers use a miriad of payment methods
(all) users are not set up on all payment systems
(Some) users require invoicing for payment

As you can see there are too many variables in this that can cause a developer to not get a sale, to not get paid, to not know who is using their product.

Suggestion:
A developer creates a plugin
A developer submits it to GT for addition into the download zone
A developer agrees to a price point of XX.XX dollars
A developer agrees to allow GT to process payment and that GT would receive XX.XX dollars for processing payment
A user would access the download zone via their product admin
A user would select the plugin for download and select the form of payment
1. Credit Card
2. eCheck
3. Trial
4. Free (if available on the plugin)
A user would get 7 days trial period if "trial" is selected. If payment for the plugin is not processed within 7 days then the plugin would become inactive.

Results:
GT would have the most recent version available for download at all times
The developer would get a check from GT once a month if they have reached a 25.00 level or more. If level is not met then it would carry till the minimum is reached.
The user would not have to jump through a bunch of hoops including installing, un-installing, re-installing, having to sign up for payment type systems that they may not have, etc...

Ultimately the developer would sell more plugins, users would have a much easier time of it when installing and GT would make some money for processing the sale and cutting a ceck once a month to the developer.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Jun 18, 2002, 10:37 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Download Payment Center In reply to
Execellent idea!!! GT? The inactive after 7 days is the one which could be hard, but would be a nice security and honesty keeper.

EDIT: I know most are honest, and being a user and a developer (new), I think it provides an enviroment where even more devleopement and great enhancements for links by third parties will occur. It only takes a few bad incidents, before you could lose that motivation to pass on your work to others. I like writing stuff for links, and I think I would write a lot more with something like this in place.

Smile

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 18, 2002, 10:35 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Download Payment Center In reply to
An idea to fix that if it is too much is to have a 7 day refund policy requiring that the person asking for the refund to show proof that the plugin had been removed from their site.
Quote Reply
Yes. Or perhaps a registration "key" system built into Links. Commercial plugins will only install if they have a key or something. I am not sure on this, but I am sure one of the experts could think of something safe. This sounds like a good way for GT to test out their new shopping cart doesnt it?

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Gee, talk about timing! (right Jack?)Cool
Quote Reply
I think I'll disagree here. :-)

I personally think it's up to the plugin developer to develop h(is|er) own method of payment, processing, record keeping etc. etc.

After all, if the plugin developer can not develop this h(im|er)self then maybe they shouldn't provide plugins for people to install on their websites either. It's already risky enough for GT to look like they are endorcing these plugins, or even providing them. Making GT provide a payment model, would give them even more headaches. You're probably looking at another full time employee just to sort out disputes, and just take care of the entire system.

I personally think a better idea would be to have GT give liscences to their developers. Kind of like a developers liscence which you have to earn some way. This will then give some plugins the credigibiltiy I for one would like to see. I trust GT's products on my servers and I trust them to deliver. But what happens when I install a plugin from someone I don't know? When things go wrong. Do I blame GT? Do I shout at the plugin developer?

Let me bring you all back to a recent thread => http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=197782#197782 <=. I personally don't think GT would want, or should put their credibility on the line by making plugins so easily available as they are now.

My argument is, which tackes the thread in another direction I know, is that there should be a certification system to certify developers. Only then can GT put more endorsment or effort into a greater portal for these plugins.

- wil
Quote Reply
There is another thing that I would add to the download center as well:

Number of Downloads: XXXXXX
Number of Returns: XX
Applies to version No: X.X.X

By me seeing this information I would be able to see the use level of the plugin as well as any issues relative to my version of GT product as it applies.

And of course the last thing I would add is REVIEWS!!!!!!!!

Let users post their comments on the plugin making them available to potential buyers/downloaders. This would be a BIG help!
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Download Payment Center In reply to
I think certification is also a good idea. And yes, this is a slightly differnt slant on the topic I think.

In any case... whatever happens, it should be a better method for all involved.

I CAN write an encypted plugin with a key etc. But go through all this effort for a forty dollar plugin? This increases time to make a plugin also. Better to just have a good payment and download system and concentrate your efforts on making a good plugin.

I am already doing one thing you have mentioned, and that is to handle the download and payments myself, on my own site. What I am seeing as suggested here, is that this could be brought back to the GT download area a little more.

Anyways, there are good ideas going on here!

EDIT: If the system is TOO hard for anyone involved then this would have a negative effect on the whole thing. After all, you want people to develop and enhance links, dont we.

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 18, 2002, 10:53 AM
Quote Reply
Hi Wil,

The thing I think that you are missing here is that this is NOT just about a developers needs. It is more about a "BUYERS" needs. And from a buyers standpoint a centralized method far outweighs a programmers ability to develop a payment and download interface for their own site.

As per certification, I think that is a good idea. But I will not look at certification as the only reason to buy a plugin.

Remeber Wil, I am a buyer not a developer. So I look at things through different glasses than a developer.

As per GT putting their stamp on a product, GT has many plugins available in the download area now. Each of these state who to contact, who wrote it, etc. All they would have to do is place a disclaimer in the download area that states the developer is the support (so to say). And that the XX.XX fee is for processing and handling only and that GT makes no statement of quality on any plugin other than their own.

Its easy!

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Jun 18, 2002, 10:59 AM
Quote Reply
I think GT is already not responsible for what is in the download area by other develpers. And maybe this could be made a little clearer.

I see a certain amount of trust (which is great) already when you are given the priveldge of putting your plugin into the download system. It could be removed as fast as it went in I suppose. So this is certification in a way I guess.... not endorsement, but a kind of trust thing.

Anyways, I hope this topic remains a constructive one, and that it does not get argumentative in anyway (not that it has).

I know if I were to buy a plugin it would be easier from a central point... but at the same time it is totally GT's discreation as to what they want to or not want to involve themselves in. I will be happy as long as I get to keep writing plug-ins!!! And even happier if some people or benefiting from them too.Smile

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Yeah...a centralised payment/download area would be great. It would also give the customers a better sense of security, as they have already purchased stuff through GT before Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Download Payment Center In reply to
That is also a good point Andy, the security!

The one thing that I can see is that the product that is made available for download HAS TO BE the most up to date version at all times. No trial versions, no mock ups, no less featured versions, just full scale plugins for immediate implementation.

The commitment to excellence has to be made by the developer or this system will be their demise. Especially with the downloads, returns listed along with users reviews.

Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Download Payment Center In reply to
It would make me feel more comfortable, if I knew that customers were more comfortable about the payment process.

Maybe this is part of the reason for non-payers?

As it stands, I might just put my ToolBox plugin on my own site for paid download only... but this is not the ultimate or best solution in the long term.

The download area seems to be great for FREE or GT plugins. But for a commerical plug-in, it currently may not be the best option for all.

EDIT: I would be more than happy to submit a fee to GT on a per download/payment received basis. But once again... this would have to be somthing GT would want to be involved in. Its their choice. I am personally hoping that reputation would help out with the secuirty thing... so yes, maybe some kind of review system would be good.

But lets keep it as simple as possible.... the time it takes to make a DECENT plugin is a fair bit, as I am finding out. I offer support for my plug-ins for free (as do others), and I am hoping this says something about the effort people are putting in to helping others.

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 18, 2002, 11:35 AM
Quote Reply
Here is a thought to ponder....

How many LinksSQL have been put on the net?
Of them, how many of those users USE the forum here?
Of them, how many are exposed to your plugins?

If you were able to market to the WHOLE userbase of LinksSQL compared to the userbase of the forums how many more plugins would you sell? How many more plugins would you be paid for rather than pirated if it was in a centralized download area?

The numbers are there!
Quote Reply
A note on the reviews section:

What I find to be helpful when I look for new products is actual users comments about the product. Most everybody does this in their daily lives with everything from a restaurant that you recommend to a friend to reading magazines that feature a review on that new product or service you are interested in.

Very few of us would buy something (with any real cost) without a recommendation or user comments.

The whole point of the centralized download zone is to increase sales via a secure, friendly environment that entices both the developer and the buyer into a relationship based on facts. This is a Win Win if done correctly and will also benefit GT income wise as well as professionally as a value added service.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Thanks for all the great feedback here. There are some good ideas, and things we'll definately want to look at. We are working on a revamp of our user management system we use here that controls everything from the download area to the plugin system.

Some more comments:

* The plugin system does have support for version checking, we just need to turn it on. =) It can detect that a plugin is tagged for Links SQL 2.1.0, but you are using 2.0.5.

* The system also has support for paid plugins. Adcycle is a good example of this. It will check that you own the product before letting you download it. We are willing to work with developers on some products to help with a plugin.

We are interested in automating a lot more of this, so we could offer plugins at a lower price and still make it worthwhile for everyone involved.

So much to do.. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.