Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Code Stealer - Username: anarckie.com

Quote Reply
Code Stealer - Username: anarckie.com
I'd just like to point out that the forum member anarckie.com has been stealing code from other forum members websites, namely mine, even after having the cheek to email me and ask for it (it was stolen before I could reply).

http://www.anarckie.com

Try right-clicking - look familiar?

Try right clicking here:

http://www.wiredon.net

I would like to ask a staff member or moderator to ban this user from the forum.

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 16, 2001, 12:19 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulWilson] Code Stealer - Username: anarckie.com In reply to
If admin want to delete this thread then don't hesitate (as with all my threads :) )

....but Im just pretty angry right now. I don't spend hours on my site for some brainless fool to steal my code and use it as their own.

Hell, I wouldn't even mind if they said, "Hi, I'd like to use your code on my site, would you mind"... and I'd email the darn files to them but to receive an email asking for the code and then finding they already stole it, that really yanks my crank and pulls my chain.

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 16, 2001, 12:58 PM
Quote Reply
Hi,

I think it's something you need to take up with the author.

I would remove the right click anyways, it's quite aggrevating. If I want to see the source, I'll click View->Source. If I want to open a link in a new window, I can't.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Code Stealer - Username: anarckie.com In reply to
I've tried contacting him but no response yet and I don't expect one.

Whether the popup is aggrevating or not is not the point IMO. I just don't appreciate my code being taken without permission and as he found my site through this forum I thought it would be ok to post my annoyance here as it is sort of related.

Anyway as I said you can delete the thread if it's not appropriate - I just needed to vent my anger.

He's blocked from the server now so I don't need to worry about him (unless he changes ISP) but if he steals my code he may do it to others here.

Anyway sorry.

Why is it always me in this sticky situations :( - I guess I ask for it.

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 16, 2001, 1:50 PM
Quote Reply
Hi,

No problem, and I do understand your point. We had our previous look of our site stolen a couple times (one for an adult site, where our G in the top left corner got mutated into something awful, and twice by web design firms).

So I do understand =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thankyou Alex.

The most frustrating part is feeling powerless to do anything about it. As the Internet is inanimate it's difficult to regulate and can result in such annoying things as this.

I can't believe he even left the same text in the popup that I wrote...Unsure

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 16, 2001, 1:57 PM
Quote Reply
Paul... U see this on his site???...
Quote:
Welcome to the download section. Download all the files you like, but don't leech them or put them on your site. E-mail me any of your requests. Enjoy.

Whut a chit....

ed

Less Talk More Action: www.9o9o.com
Quote Reply
Re: [edpak] Code Stealer - Username: anarckie.com In reply to
And breathe in...........................

....................and out.................

Hopefully God is watching and will make him trap all his fingers in a door.

Obviously I'm only joking...Angelic

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 16, 2001, 2:08 PM
Quote Reply
I recently discovered 3 sites (1 commercial) using my ENTIRE design AND still keeping my copyright message in the source code AND using the graphics directly from my server.

As you would expect no reply from the THIEVES so far, but we often get these removed eventually with some stern emails about legal action being taken.

I would recommend adding some unique text and an unusually named graphic file to your site so you can find the thieves by doing a keyword scan on the main search engines.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Code Stealer - Username: anarckie.com In reply to
There was this great search engine, but I can't remember the URL. Basically you could cut and paste text into it and it would scan the net looking for similiar text. For instance we cut and paste the description of Links 2.0 into it and found listings on cgi-resources, hotscripts etc, but also found two or three people selling the script as their own. =)

If anyone remembers the URL, please post it!

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Code Stealer - Username: anarckie.com In reply to
Hey Eraser......you can use a rewrite rule with apache to stop people using images on your server and can send back any image you want.

So if I added http://www.yoururl.com/images/bla.gif into one of my pages you could add the rule into httpd.conf and instead of sendng back bla.gif you could send back a huge image saying STOLEN FROM MYSITE.COM

I'll try and find the code.
Quote Reply
Altavisata have a cool service where you can enter link:www.mydomain.com and it tells you who is linking back to your site.
Quote Reply
Already blocking the graphics using this method, but thanks anyway :-)

In regards to Alex's post, I had that useful search engine noted once. I'll see if I can located it and post the URL here.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Alex

http://www.findsame.com/ - which has now been offline since 2000. The domain is still active however, and there is an email contact for those interested.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Would like to remind you of one of your own posts regarding stealing codes:

User: RedRum
Date Posted: Aug 27, 2001, 1:08 PM
Subject: M$ Makeover - NEW

I see M$ have given their site a makeover. It looks SO much nicer and they have a groovy live
countdown on their XP page.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/

User: RedRum
Date Posted: Aug 27, 2001
Subject: Re: M$ Makeover

Hmmm I didn't realise it was so easy to steal code...I have a working copy of their countdown ticker on my pc.

....that counter will look nice on my site......just kidding...it's nice to see the code the big boys use.

Is it just okay to steal from the big boys?

Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Code Stealer - Username: anarckie.com In reply to
Haha, thankyou for reminding me.

If I was going to steal their code with unlawful intent I wouldn't let you all know I was doing it Tongue

I was actually seeing if I could make a complete copy of the code because I thought it was a big security bug in MSIE.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Sep 23, 2001, 12:45 PM