Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Co-ordination between GT products

Quote Reply
Co-ordination between GT products
Hello!

I beleive if products by Gossamer-Threads are programmed in a way that they function in harmony togather that would be great.

Since years I am facing hardships using scripts by GT. Everytime there is a new format of the database/tables in a new version or between products there is a different appraoch within that is very difficult and takes a lot of time to bring them working togather.

Further, customizing any product means an invitation to problems thinking about the fast moving and strong development environment here. The scripts are extra-ordinary and of the greatest value however more attention is required to offer clients and users in keeping pace with the upgrades and harmony between the products. A clear fact remains that everyone has many areas customized.

Everytime there is a new game of trouble shooting. I hate this. It takes a lot of time and energy. A simple defensive statement is certainly not an answer.

Quote Reply
Re: Co-ordination between GT products In reply to
As products develop, there are going to be changes. It is inevitable. There is no way a links 2.0 database was suffcicient for Links SQL, or Links SQL 1.1x was sufficient for SQL NG. Also, people will change their databases to suit their needs.

Links SQL NG is a first step to modular, 'tiered' programming, where libraries and code (functions, actions, groups of actions) are abstracted and extracted into simple calls.

All the calling scripts are much, much shorter.

The Plug-in system will allow 3rd party modifications to persist through upgrades.

I'm not sure what you are complaining about this time, but all products are merging onto the GT libraries. Right now Links & MySQLMan are doing it. GossamerMail was an impetus to this, but it's being merged in. Anything else GT does will build on the core libraries.

This is not a defensive statement, it's a "good thing."

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Hello Robert!

As a liscenced user, I trigger down to a mere simple fact.

Am I able to use the products. NO. I have problems in using and integrating. Then I ask, do I get enough support? No. Then I ask, is there a possibility in the near future? NO. No assurance of anything in the near future.

I just do not want to get addicted to this forum and keep on looking for new threads. I have bought a product which should be able to give be satisfaction and not remain under pressure of worshiping it. This is a complete fair thinking. And also I expect a fair approach and an answer.

The last thing I want to see is others counselling for the problems that are there.

Quote Reply
What do you mean coordination between scripts and products.

GT has Links 1.0 which was replaced by Links 2.0, and which has a fully blown user community and just about everything you would want for it. It's a mature product, that has probably reached the end of it's development life cycle (technology moves on).

Links SQL arrived, and was a new product. It can upgrade your existing 1.0/2.0 database and site with mimimal effort. It even allowed you to import DMOZ (again, usually with minimal effort).

Gossamer Mail arrived, and was a new product.

(I'm skipping over DBMan(SQL))

MySQLMan arrived and was a new product.

MySQLman integrates seamlessly with Links SQL.

Links SQL NG arrived, and is essentially a new product, rewritten. It upgrades from previous versions and installs simply, cleanly, and easily. What more could you really (legitimately) want? Bugs are still being worked out. It's a _new_ program.

MySQLMan integrates and ships with that.

Of these products, what don't work together? What needs to be integrated so that they do work together?

From day one, I remember you have had problems, and have not been happy with anything that has been done here. It's not possible to please everyone all the time. Maybe you are one person who cannot be pleased in any way by these products.

Maybe, for your project(s) you needed a skilled, competent programmer, who understood what was needed not only when you started, but down the road. Maybe it's not GT at all, but how you developed your own offering using their products.

I've had _no_ problems upgrading and scaling up my sites, and I run diametrically different types of "links" sites. There have always been tweaks, but no walls. Any walls were overcome in the next beta. I have used the forums to communicate my "logic" and actions to Alex/GT, and by doing so, I've seen others join in, and Alex/GT take the information and better the product for everyone.

Your disdain for the forums and messages here is a symptom of, and the disease itself, in your case. Almost all the improvements, fixes, solutions and sucesses come from sharing and participating in the forum. It's how you communicate the problems to GT, and the community at large can comment on them, and GT can come up with a solution that works for the larger community.

No company is going to develop "custom" solutions for one customer without a charge.

I don't know why I'm still replying to these messages, but I really hate misinformation. And saying "I have problems in using and integrating." needs to be taken at FACE VALUE. _YOU_ have the problems. Most others have gotten solutions. Think about it.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ