Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Custom Modification Jobs :

Multiple collums for links 2...

Quote Reply
Multiple collums for links 2...
Hi. I can't really offer you much for this mod (except maybe a link or two!). What i need is to be able to have several collums for the links. An example is at http://www.freewebtemplates.com/ (look at their category pages).

Does anyone think they may be able to help me?

Yours

A.J.Newby
webmaster@ace-installer.com
http://www.ace-installer.com

Quote Reply
Re: Multiple collums for links... In reply to
Do you mean two columns for categories or links?

The example you gave doesnt seem to have two columns of links.

Paul Wilson.
(Dont blame me if I'm wrong!)
Quote Reply
What i mean is 2 collums for links. The one i showed actually uses 3 links per collum (or more images),but i just want two. do you think you can help me?

Yours

A.J.Newby
webmaster@ace-installer.com

Quote Reply
What version of links are you using?

Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
Its Links 2 :)

Quote Reply
Gimme a few mins to take a look at a copy of Links 2 and Ill try to help you out!

Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
Thanks....

Quote Reply
Hmmm....Im sorry...you will have to ask someone like pugdog...Im not sure how to do it.

Have you tried searching the forums?....you may find an answer.

Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
I'm not sure what is being asked. I looked at that site and got a bunch of popup windows that didn't really show much.

PUGDOG®
PUGDOG® Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Kill the first popup and behind it is what he want (I think)

There are two columns of links
I think he wants links to show up in two columns the same way that categories do.

Paul Wilson.
Quote Reply
Yes, what i would like to be done is to have

x x

links rather than;

x

Do you understand what i am saying? If not please contact me and i will try and explain it a bit better Cool

Any help you can offer will be much appreciated

Yours

A.J.Newby
youradds@ntlworld.com
http://www.ace-installer.com

Quote Reply
I will do this the next days and will send you the URL to see it.
Robert

Quote Reply
Great, i really do appreciate it! Cool

Andy

Quote Reply
Don't mean to rush you, but have you managed to make the mod yet? I really would like to intergrate it into my site! Thanks for your help

Andy Cool

Quote Reply
Try the following:

In link.html you write something like:

if dummy = 0 then tr td link /td

if dummy = 1 then td link /td /tr

Now all you have to do is to pass the var dummy from build.cgi

with something like:

dummy = 0
pass data to html_templates
dummy = dummy +1
if dummy = 2 then dummy = 0

in category.html you open and close the table around the links.

That´s all. With this little trick you could do every list you want.

If you have no experience with programming you have to wait some days till the site is online and the code ready.

Robert

Quote Reply
I know how to program a bit, but i think i will wait for you. Thanks Cool

Andy

Quote Reply
I just worked this out for a new mod (picture post).

Unfortunately, it's on company time, so I can't just release it. I'm trying to see if they'll go for the 'shareware' concept, and rely on the honesty of strangers... but for now it's not.

It's a hard-coded modification (not a plug-in) that changes a line in the build files, and adds 1 or two subroutines. You can have single template files, or double template files:

example:

You want to just insert a self contained "link" nugget in a table in the order of:

Code:
[table]
[row]
[link] [link] [link]
[end row]
[end table]
if you want to have a "header" and a "body" in the link, and want the rows to line up, such as:

Code:
[table]
[row]
[link1_header] [link2_header] [link3_header]
[end row]
[row]
[link1_body] [link2_body] [link3_body]
[end row]
[end table]
You set the "split" to true, and you use two links templates, and it allows the header to line up, and the bodies to line up, each row, so the formatting is "even" unlink the "categories" listings where descriptions or wrapping can cause one column to be out of sync with the other.

If this isn't clear, and you are interested in the mod, let me know, and I can set up an example. If you are not really interested in the mod, then in a few days I'll have a demo site up for the picture-gallery, where all this will be evident.

For reference ... how about $25 for this mod? It should be portable through links versions, since it hijacks a function call and wraps it in a subroutine (which means I _might_ be able to make it a plug-in down the line, once that is all set in stone).

If you are running "stock" links NG, I can send you the files you just copy over your existing ones. If you are running a modified version (already) I'll send instructions.

As I said, it's on company time, so I have to treat it differently than my usual stuff.

PUGDOG®

Quote Reply
pugdog,

youradds uses LINKS 2.0 (Non-SQL). Do you mean that the codes you've written will work in ALL versions of LINKS???

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Ooops...actually I don't know. I haven't used the flat file version for so long, I don't know.

It hijacks the call to SITE_html::Display and wraps it in a set of nested subroutines. Which means, it could probably do the same to the wrapper for &load_template, as long as the number of links sent in was controlled in some way.

The problem I see with flat-file links is that the way it builds the category pages of links. This would have to be shoe-horned in into the "spanning pages" routine, where in Links SQL NG it doesn't. That process was broken up into two proceses -- span pages and build page. So, the "build page" gets a statement handle to the # of links for that page, and builds them all. It then returns to the span pages routine, which determines if another page needs to be built or not. The "build page" rountine never really knows what page it's on, or how many pages to build. In previous versions (SQL included), that was handled much, much differently.

For some reason, I thought this was originally posted in the Links SQL Discussion area.

PUGDOG®

Quote Reply
There is a mod for Links 2 Multiple Collumns at http://mainstop.com/...mn_link_listing.html.

Andy