Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Custom Modification Jobs :

Links SQL cobranding plug-in

Quote Reply
Links SQL cobranding plug-in
I'm interested in a mod that will dynamically display a different header and footer on static pages based on a variable passed in the URL. My desire is to allow companies to link to a version of my site that will carry their logo, etc. as the user passes through the entire site.

The crucial factor is that we only build one static site, with the headers/footers dynamically inserted by Server Side Includes. Using XSSI on an Apache server we would use if/then arguments in the SSI code.

I know this is possible with Links 2.0 given extensive recoding. However, I'm wondering if Links SQL will handle this arrangement easier. I haven't bought Links SQL yet, so I'm hoping for some opinions before I plunk down $450 for the main product, plus $$$ for a programmer for the custom job.
Quote Reply
Re: [schonchin] Links SQL cobranding plug-in In reply to
It could probably be done fairly easily if you just used page.cgi and had everything dynamic. Is it important to use static content with dynamic headers?

I don't want to do the job, just letting you know that it would be a lot easier (and therefore cheaper) to have page.cgi changed to suit this.

BTW - I think this may even be built into Links SQL now. Just pass page.cgi?t=yahoo etc and it selects the new templates and displays it accordingly. Someone more experienced with Links SQL will have to reply.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] Links SQL cobranding plug-in In reply to
It's important to use static pages to ensure that all search engines can spider the pages. Google, etc. can have problems spidering dynamically generated pages.

Quote Reply
If you are using a *nix server then you are in luck. You can change one line I think which allows you to have search engine friendly dynamic pages. That is...

http://www.site.com/links/page.cgi/do/cool/t/yahoo

and it will split it up and give the right page, and will be logged in the search engine.

Links SQL has so many functions in it, you can usually get something done without needing to pay for a large job when changing one small thing can do what you need. Just trying to save you some money here Wink

Cheers,

Michael Bray
Quote Reply
I seem to remember that Google does spider dynamic pages. I used to have an image directory running with Turbo Seek, and all those pages were dynamic.

Have a look at http://www.google.com/...e.cgi%3Fgo&hl=en to see what I mean Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Quote:
I'm interested in a mod that will dynamically display a different header and footer on static pages based on a variable passed in the URL.

Hmm, dynamic header/footers on static pages? Doesn't make much sense. =) You could use Javascript I suppose and docwrite the HTML for the header/footer based on what the passed in argument is.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Links SQL cobranding plug-in In reply to
I have the XSSI code to do the header insertion into static pages. During the build I'd need the programming to look in a directory named "header" and check for the presence of subdirs and build the XSSI code with arguments based on the names of the subdirectories. This nifty method makes mainteance easy because I don't have to change code when adding or removing headers.

I have Links 2.0 working this way, but it required extensive modification. My programmer wants to rewrite 2.0 to achieve my other mods, so I'm considering just buying Links SQL, if this one mod will be easy to achieve. (I wish I could examine a copy before purchase, but oh well.)
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] Links SQL cobranding plug-in In reply to
ANd what is that code? It must be something in the httpd.conf for Apache...

Thank you....

-Scott