Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Custom Modification Jobs :

Mini Community Custom Job

Quote Reply
Mini Community Custom Job
Hi, we are looking for a developer to help us with the following:

We use Gossamer Mail currently and would like to offer those who signup for an email account the ability to have a one page "business-card" style homepage. This one pager would be a template that we create that is populated with information that is filled out from the Gossamer Mail signup form. We would like to add some extra optional fields to the mail form for more personal information. Once all of this is created at http://www.domain.com/...rs/emailaddress.html, the user would be able to login using their Gossamer Mail username and password, make any changes, add additional items, like a photo, descriptive paragraph, etc... submit these changes and have an updated personal page.

This is an important piece of functionality to help us build out our community. In time, it would be nice to make all of the personal pages searchable so that people could find others with similar interests, age, etc...

They may even be able to choose users to be on their buddy list and list them as "friends" on their personal page.

I'd love to start a dialog here about the possibilities of developing something like this.

thanks for your time!

marc
Quote Reply
Re: [mb] Mini Community Custom Job In reply to
hi,
went thru your requirement, this can be done...

cheers...
----
Agriya Infoway Pvt. Ltd.
http://www.agriya.com/
Mobile : +91-9841430004
Quote Reply
Re: [agriya] Mini Community Custom Job In reply to
Thanks for your reply. I'll be out of town the next couple of weeks, and will evaluate my options when I return.

mb
Quote Reply
Hi,

Can give the Netcard a try. The signup link can be placed on the template (page) that opens after login to GM. This has options of uploading photo etc and the entry fields can be customized and comes with a prebuilt template which looks simple and good.

Another product (Free Again) you can try is Profile Manager (Basic version) from the same company.

You can play with it till you are at a point where you decide to pay somebody for doing a job. Its great when u find a perl cgi script wok to yr satisfaction after playing with it for a while Wink

Actually I am planning to link a Web Calendar to GM from the After login Page as GM does not have a built in Organizer.

Thnx

Anup

=_= =_= =_= =_= =_= =_=

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by:

anup123: Apr 18, 2002, 1:52 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Mini Community Custom Job In reply to
Perfect!

That Profile Manager program will do the job perfectly. Now I just need to figure out how to integrate it with GM. The SQL version of profile manager is what I would like to work with. So, I assume someone could integrate the databases or share some components with one another. I would like the user to be able to fill out one form which granted them an email account, profile and one unique username and password that is shared between the two.

thanks,

marc
Quote Reply
Hi,

May be what i suggest sounds a bit crude, but even big brother like Hotmail (with all its resources) does this way when it comes to signing up for organizer in HM.

Once u try to have the organizer (in Hotmail) the only thing which is taken from the profile is the email address and things like name etc has to come up again.

So a crude (and yet workable solution without the need to pay for customization) would be following:

Have the Profile Manager as a separate utility.

Then place a link for Profile Manager (which leads to its Signup/ login Form) or whatever name u would like to give this feature from the Template after Login to GM.

This way u force a User to have a valid email with u befoe signup / login to profile manager.

Another option (definitely more time taking) would be to study the DB of both and then have a Customized Common Signup Form (a union or intersection of the two signup forms) which commits to both the databases. This would obviously require the touch up work on field names (and also the scripts). this would leave you with the option of having Support Related issues open (without any controversy) from Both GT and Interlogy in case of any problem, ensures that the two databases are independent of each other .....

The Best of Course would be that GT comes up with an Integrated Profile Manager. But that would be unfair coz we may be asking for too much for too lessWink

Thnx

Anup

=_= =_= =_= =_= =_= =_=

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by:

anup123: Apr 18, 2002, 11:03 PM
Quote Reply
Yes, both of your solutions make sense to me. I would most likely go with the option of pulling certain pieces of information from the GM database so that the user doesn't have to fill in extra info like email, name, etc... I would rather have them sign up to join the "community" rather than just signing up for a plain old email address. When they sign up once, they will have access to all of the options. Of course, they will have many, many more fields to fill out when creating their "profile", but it won't feel like they are joining two separate things. It would be a natural progression like this:

1. Signup for the community by filling out the GM form

2. Successful signup sends them to their default mail page just like GM does currently.

3. From that page, there is a link to their profile information.

4. They fill out a "pre-filled" form to answer any further questions to create the profile. (email address should already be in the form when they visit)

5. Profile created.

Should be that simple. Just a very small tie with the GM database.

marc
Quote Reply
Hi,

The choice and effort has to be yours. I had just put down what came to my mind for having a FREEEEEEE workable solution. If HM can have a Organizer signup with only email address pulled in then guys like us have all the justification to do it that way (not that it justifies HotMail stuff) but it saves few hard Earned $$$$

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
HI,

I have this done on my site except I am using PHP and links. For an example look at http://www.thehotweb.net/sites . I could set something like this up for a low price, e-mail me at paul@thehotweb.net if you are interested.

Thanks,
Paul
Webmaster Discussions
Quote Reply
Re: [hacker] Mini Community Custom Job In reply to
Hi,

I think yr reply was meant for mb

BTW, on clicking blank screen appears. Needs 2 be fixed.

Thnx

Anup