Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Custom Modification Jobs :

Custom Modification for GForum

Quote Reply
Custom Modification for GForum
I'm looking for a plugin capable of doing this:

Integrating GForum with USENET Newsgroups.

How?

It has to retrieve, based on a previously configured parameter, discussions from USENET Newsgroups including all the messages in the past x days for a given discussion. So, for example if the alt.rec.movies discussion contains 120 messages in the last 30 days I will download them, insert them in Gossamer Forum and allow my users read the content of the messages. For Users of my forum, if they try to post a message to the forum where the Usenet discussion was downloaded, then that message (the one posted by the user) should be posted back to the alt.rec.movies newsgroup creating a reciprocal interaction of posts using GFORUM as the only interface for this. The idea I have in mind is simple, to have GForum as an interface to the Usenet Newsgroups to create instant integration with the biggest forum of all ;)
Quote Reply
Re: [jaltuve] Custom Modification for GForum In reply to
Hi,

Somebody has written the attached hack for vBulletin. (Thread in Vbulletin Forums).

The main script (new_news.pl - yes, in Perl Wink) that synchronises usenet with Vbulletin contains nearly all of the functions that you'll need to integrate Usenet with Gforum. As such, the vast majority of work is already done for you. The main tasks would be rewriting the database inserts to work with Gforum's table system, and writing the front end for Gforum. If you can translate the php into perl it shouldn't be too hard.

It would be great if you could release this plugin if you finish it.

HTH.

Last edited by:

cwi: May 11, 2003, 1:59 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Pls let me know when can we start??
----
Agriya Infoway Pvt. Ltd.
http://www.agriya.com/
Mobile : +91-9841430004
Quote Reply
Re: [agriya] Custom Modification for GForum In reply to
Paul will start working tomorrow, please contact him directly for pricing information, my guess is that he will make the plugin available for general use
Quote Reply
What is paul's id???
----
Agriya Infoway Pvt. Ltd.
http://www.agriya.com/
Mobile : +91-9841430004
Quote Reply
Re: [agriya] Custom Modification for GForum In reply to
paul
Quote Reply
What's going on, I'm confused Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Custom Modification for GForum In reply to
Now I uderstand... i was under the impression agriya was INTERESTED in the product, apparently he/she is interested in developing it. But thanks Agriya, Paul, as I said is already working on that.
Quote Reply
Re: [cwi] Custom Modification for GForum In reply to
Here's an example of the plugin (so far).

http://213.106.15.160/...in/gforum/gforum.cgi

It let's you enter unlimited news servers, unlimited newsgroups and lets you assign each group to a forum and each server to a username, so all messages are posted as that user.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 18, 2003, 7:17 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Custom Modification for GForum In reply to
Paul;

What is the pricing on the NNTP Plugin?

Also, what is the pricing for modifying the plugin so that it builds static pages (possibly using Pagebuilder)
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] Custom Modification for GForum In reply to
Did anyone ever end up with this plugin? Now that Paul's no longer around, I'm wondering if I could still get it.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] Custom Modification for GForum In reply to
Don't think it was ever made.

I will pay good money for this as a plug in or a stand alone. Must be professionally done with clean code.

Or if there is an expert out there that can work with one of the existing nntp to web gateway scripts....I'd pay for installation, template design and customization. FOr example, ... Anyone know DNews?
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] Custom Modification for GForum In reply to
Guys, the plugin is completely finished and operational. Took me longer than I anticipated since it is a very complex plugin. The past month or so I've been debugging it and adding some advanced features (like attachments).

To give you and idea, 4 months ago my site was practically unknown to google. I implemented the search templates and rewrite rules trick for Gforum, then just mirrored a SINGLE usenet newsgroup and linked it to a local forum, then google indexed my page and well, you get the idea... more than 500 pages where served in that indexing round. Now, google ranks me as first for almost any search related to the newsgroup category I mirrored.

Want more details and pricing? well.. maybe details, because pricing and official release is at this point still unknown, this plugin resulted to be a marketing secret weapon, much much better than what I anticipated, so it's not going to be cheap.

The reason I will do extensive testing and Q&A is because I have little time for support, so I need this plugin to be as straightforward, simple and bugfree as possible. Rest assured that it is rock stable and well coded since my GForum instalation is not even mod_perl but fast_cgi based, so I;m extremely careful with coding because of the persistent enviroment where this plugin runs.

Any one interested in seeing more and taking a look at the plugin in action private message me with your email address and I will contact you directly.
Quote Reply

can you give us the url of your site so we can check it out on google?
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Custom Modification for GForum In reply to
I sent you a PM. I can not disclose the URL in a public forum.
Quote Reply
The only thing I can say, is be careful.

Google changes their algorithms regularly, and what comes up top one week, may not show up at all the next.

I have one site, and it's a single page, pointer to my other sites, that comes up #1 on key searches, and I can't figure out why. It ranks higher than my main sites, higher than sites that have been around for 10+ years, and with sites that I feel are even more targeted. It's held that position for over 6 months now, and I'm afraid to touch or do anything to the site since I can't figure out what the engine likes about that site. It's also the "key" search term I want to come up on, so it's had me baffled.

If Google rated your 500 pages high, then finds out that the click-through or other relevancy checking is not as high or as good as other, it will modify it's algorithm.

That's what has me baffled about my site. But, if it aint broke, don't fix it <G> It's given me a good excuse not to develop the site any further, though ;)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Custom Modification for GForum In reply to
That is the most common problem webmasters face pugdog. It's called short term vision, you can not build a site pretending to be on top of search engines doing 'tricks' so, what's the best way to como to the top? simply be smart on content generation, do mostly static stuff, include descriptive names in URL's use H1 H2 H3 tags, make title tag different and auto generated for all pages, but, the king of all. have a spider INDEX your entire forums, and what if you mirror usenet newsgroups? nothing beats that pugdog.
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] Custom Modification for GForum In reply to
Terra (http://www.terra.com.es) , a Spanish portal, has deployed exactly that. For example, this post in Terra's corresponds to this post in the newsgroup es.charla.motor.
Quote Reply
Hi

1) I would like to know if the plugin was available for download ?

2) Does it work on a live website? could you give me the URL?

Regards
FMPWink
Quote Reply
Re: [fmp] Custom Modification for GForum In reply to
Hi fmp..

1) Sorry no, it's not available for download
2) Yes, but there's no point on telling you where since it is not for sale, the plugin is used for an internal project now.

Vbulletin also has a plugin which does EXACTLY what you want (Forum/Newsgroup replication) I'd suggest you check the Vbulletin plugin
Quote Reply
Hi jaltuve

Txs for your answer, I will have a look on Vbulletin plugin...

I would be ready to pay for a such plugin on GFORUM, I guess many others would also be... Is there really no way I could buy it to you?

Regards
FMP