Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Custom Modification Jobs :

Customization for LinksSQL

Quote Reply
Customization for LinksSQL
Hi. I am currently a Links 2.0 user, but am thinking of upgrading to LinksSQL. If I do upgrade, I would like to get some customization done. Here's a list of what I need done:

1. I need to be able to add extra fields easily. I would like to have an option in the admin console that allows me to add 'yes/no' fields easily without having to modify the scripts manually.

2. These 'yes/no' fields would be in the form of checkboxes at the user end and they would each represent a category. When a user submits a new link for validation, he would select the categories that he wants the link to be listed in. I plan of having the same link listed in multiple categories, so this would help me in that department (at least from a user standpoint).

3. On the admin side, I in addition to being able to add fields every time I add a new category (see step 1.), I would need a way to validate links by category. This may be a little tricky to implement. For example, if a user submits a link to two categories, and I want to validate his link in one category and reject it in the other category, I need to be able to do that. Ideally, I would like this to work on a radio button system similar to the checkbox system that we implemented in step 2.: if the user checks categoryA and categoryB when submitting a link, on the admin side I would get categoryA and categoryB pre-checked for validation.

Please take a look at the following for a simple example:
http://216.73.118.56/user.html ('Add a site' screen)
http://216.73.118.56/admin.html ('Validate' screen)

Please let me know how much $ you would expect to get for this customization, and how long it may take. Also if you need any clarification, I would be more than happy to assist.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [Fierceman] Customization for LinksSQL In reply to
Here are some answers/suggestions:

1. extra fields can be added easily from within the admin panel.

2/3: Links SQL can have a link in several categories. By default it works like this: a users adds the link information, and there is a select box with all the available categories. A user can then select one or several categories for this link. When validating the link, the admin sees all the categories that have been suggested for this link, and he can either leave the categories as they are, add a category for the link, or remove a category for the link. This is rather similar to what you want to do (if I understand correctly), and it requires basically no customization, it's all built in.

I hope that helps.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Customization for LinksSQL In reply to
Hi Yogi, thanks for the quick reply. That's exactly what I need. The only thing I'm still concerned about is how the duplicate checker works. If a large number of my links are listed in multiple categories, every time I run the duplicate checker I will get a huge list of duplicates... is there any way to make the duplicate checker work only WITHIN categories and NOT ACROSS all categories? If so, I'm getting Links SQL today!

One more thing, since I'm already using Links 2.0 do I have to pay the full $450? I think it's worth, it but obviously I'd rather pay less Wink.
Quote Reply
Sorry ONE more thing... I just took another look at the demo and I don't see how a user can submit to multiple categories at once... You have to first visit the category you want to submit to and then that's the only category that's pre-selected in the submit form. What am I missing here?
Quote Reply
1. If a link is in different categories, then the link is not stored several times in the database, but still only once. The information about which categories it is assigned to is in a different table. Therefore, if you do a duplicate check, the link will not show up as a duplicate, even it is in more than one category.

2. you can set up the system in two ways: either like the demo, where you have to go to the category you want your link to be in, or in a different way, where you are presented a selection list of categories. You would need the second setup, I guess.

I hope that helps.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Customization for LinksSQL In reply to
OK, so I bought Links SQL but I still can't figure out how a user can submit to multiple categories at once...

Since I can't submit to multiple categories, I also can't see what the validation process is like for such submissions.

If this can't be done easily, I'd still be willing to pay someone here to do the customization as specified earlier in this thread.

(Thanks again for all your help yogi)
Quote Reply
Hi. Please send me a PM. I'll try and get it customized for you, with the minimum cost (I know how expensive LSQL is Tongue). I've done it several times now, on different sites... so I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!