Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Custom Modification Jobs :

Shopping Cart

(Page 3 of 3)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [JackOng] Shopping Cart In reply to
Using .shtml pages, a global and an include-tag it should be possible
to insert a small field which shows the current total-quantity and order-amount,
isn't it ??

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Quote Reply
Hey Jack,

how's the cart coming along?
Quote Reply
I tried the demo. This is exactly what I need.

I hope it will have the possibility to setup some functions for custom needs, like shipping-method (UPS, DHL, Regular Mail), Discount-Computation (based on Quantity and/or Amount), Different-Taxe-Rates (in Germany we have 7% and 16% and sometimes free Tax).

I did not see an order-ID or an Invoice-Number at the demo and in the Emails.
Also it would be good to save an online-copy of the invoice at the server without payment-data, identified by a long random_number.html, so that only the owner of the invoice can view the invoice.

Will the orders be saved in a database, so that user can view all the orders he made before?

--
Michael Skaide

Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] Shopping Cart In reply to
Coming along, coming along...Wink
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Ong, C.O.O., Gossamer Threads, Inc.
9th Floor, 100 West Pender, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1R8
Email: <jack@gossamer-threads.com>
Tel: (604) 687-5804 Fax: (604) 687-5806
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] Shopping Cart In reply to
Jack,

I may have missed this -- is this a plugin for Links?

If so, is the product information stored in the link record, or in the shopping cart record?

A separate table with item information for shopping would allow linking by Link ID to the characteristics of the item that allow for pricing and shipping information.

Products can have a single + additional price ie: the cost to add that item to a box, as well as the cost to ship that item alone.

Shipping should have a flat-fee to open the box, plus the cost of each item to add to it.

Boxes can have a maximum weight or size.

items may ship from different locations, or at different times, etc.

This is "meta information" on a product, and if tracked in a linked table, is easier to deal with than if it's in the descriptive link record.

cart.cgi?LinkID=nn is how the information is picked up.

Then, on the back end, varous routines can work to achieve best shipping, aggregate discounts, "assortable pricing", etc.

That's how I've been doing it....

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Shopping Cart In reply to
It's a plugin for Links, however, it can be modified quite easily to work with DBman.

Product information is stored in the Links table record. When an Item is purchased, however, all the price, shipping, etc information would be stored in another table so that the paid price would be "locked in" and won't be affected by price fluctuations or product deletions.

When an item is added to the shopping cart, the actual database record is fetched than transformed into something the shopping cart can use. At that point, it would be possible to insert the code that would calculate volume discounts or even coupon codes. For the initial release, the transformation interface is will still be more for a developer then an end user.

The basic method of adding items to carts will be something like cart.cgi?ID=123. But since this plugin was created with the possiblity of usage with DBMan, it will also accept another parameter, DB, which would name the table from where it should fetch the raw data.

Shipping calculations, since we don't have an interface to ups or fedex right now, will be based on approximate weights for the most part.

Did I get all your questions?
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] Shopping Cart In reply to
Ok... :)

I think you answered the big ones, and I can extrapolate from there.

The key features are it's a plugin, and it uses cart.cgi?ID=nn to trigger the actions.

Can't wait to see it, since it is how I started out, and one of my sort of dead sites still has links to my old cart (I just found out <G>).

One feature I had, for one-of-a-kind items and users/customers that did not use on-line payment processing of any sort, or needed to confirm, or otherwise verify a transaction, is an "on-hold" parameter that can be set for 1-3 days, or whatever.

How this worked, was a person purchased the item, the item was flagged as "pending", and on future displays, this is what was shown. A _second_ or even third person could place an offer for the item, and they were notified that "This item is pending prior sale. If you would like to purchase this item should the sale not go through, you can enter your payment and/or contact information, and you will be notified in nn days/hours of the status of this transaction. There are 0 others ahead of you requesting this item. Thanks for your interest in our products!"

Because I also was selling "similar" items, I had keywords in the listing that would generate a link

"Search for similar items with the keywords "..."" (*if* a search turned up a positive number. Didn't want to prompt the user for a search, and not have any! )

So the user knew what they were searching for.

This system could even be used for systems that do take on-line payments, since there is a 2-3 day settlement sometimes, and if a sale is not completed, it would be nice to have captured the name/contact info for the next user.

Except for setting the "pending" flag, this was all template based on that flag.

If our account rep ever gets back to us, and gives us information on their new system, I'll try to develop a plugin/processing module for them, since I'll need it for virtually everything I do.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Coming along, coming along...Wink

I've had to go with a different shopping cart script and integrate it into lsql. Would still like to see what GT comes up with, or perhaps I'll just re-write the one I've got into a links plugin if it's not going to be available for another year or so.

this one's been in production and a demo for some time, and I know I shouldn't ask, but can anyone at GT provide a half accurate release date for this script? If not, can you just say "no" and I'll be happy with that.

cheers,

regan.
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Shopping Cart In reply to
The shopping cart script is actually mostly done. What is left is the following:

- add ability for users to browse their old invoices
- clean up the code (the code is nasty to look at right now)
- and finally package it properly (+test it thoughly but, initial tests by a number of people haven't brought about any stability issues)

In terms of an ETA, can't give you one yet, but keep the fire under me stoked, you'll probably get it sooner. Tongue
Quote Reply
cool - thanks for the update Aki! Smile

regan.
Quote Reply
Aki,

I am waiting on the Cart. Adding wood to the fire. Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] Shopping Cart In reply to
Once my PPC plugin is completed, I'm going to be starting work on a basic PayPal shopping cart. Price will be around $60. Hope to have something by the end of next week :)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
but keep the fire under me stoked, you'll probably get it sooner. Tongue

stoking...

Angelic

r
Quote Reply
Hi,

I also wait for the cart and community. I think you can expect a very good solution. I'm also "not amused" about the poor informations about the scripts. (Alex!! very important!!)

There is a forum at the web-site from the author of the shopping-script I actually use. People are very disapointed there, because he promised to present a new version at May-2002. Till now he did not release any new shopping-script. It's not the point. The situation is homemade (so we say in Germany), there was an anouncement without any action to fulfill this anouncement. More bad is, that there is no response to any requests.

Actually I have the feeling that it's very, very hard to earn money with an internet-service. It's much harder to try earning money without good tools. Having a good working shopping-cart can be the key for success. I understand if someone feels locked. Sometimes I also feel like Mark Spitz who would starting a race with an anchor hanging at the neck.

--
Michael Skaide

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
In terms of an ETA, can't give you one yet, but keep the fire under me stoked, you'll probably get it sooner. Tongue

looking for something that burns longer than wood... Unimpressed

anybody still working on this?

r
Quote Reply
Jack,

What's up with shopping cart?

Is this thing going to see daylight?

r.
Quote Reply
Hi Regan,

If you can send me a private email on this, I can setup something for you.

jack@gossamer-threads.com is my email address.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Hey Jack,

I'm interested also!
Quote Reply
Re: [xpert] Shopping Cart In reply to
Hehe I could see this coming as soon as Jack said what he said :)

Last edited by:

Paul: Dec 12, 2002, 3:08 PM
Quote Reply
Can you send me an email then with some information on the site you wish to build off this cart and we might be able to work something out.

Jack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Hey Jack!
What about my website? You've not replied me...
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
Hi,

Anyone interested in more information about the shopping cart can go check out this post:

http://gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=228624

If you have any questions, please do feel free to email me.

Jack.
> >