Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
New Forum
Hello Everyone,

Alex and I have been getting a lot of requests for a Forum to handle requests for Custom Modifications to our scripts. Thus, we have decided to launch this new Board where you can submit requests for custom modifications to Gossamer Threads directly.

If you have an idea for a different application of our scripts and need some modifications to it in order to accomodate your app, let us know and we will give you a quote for the job based on how long we think the job will take.

Please be as thorough and concise with your specifications as possible, we can then be more precise with our quotes.

Jack.

Quote Reply
Re: New Forum In reply to
Many thanks Jack for acting so promptly in the matter of a forum for asking for paid mods. Look forward to reading some of the requests.

New Zealand Christian Internet Directory
Quote Reply
Hi Jack,
Thanks for the new forum! Your message sounded like it was designed for us to submit requests to Gossamer Threads only.

Can we use it to discuss jobs among ourselves also? To my knowledge, that's what most people have wanted all along.

Quote Reply
Hello Jack ? Are you there?
Can we use it to discuss jobs among ourselves also? To my knowledge, that's what most people have wanted all along.

Quote Reply
Sorry Katana Man,

I sent you a reply to your email address on file, but perhaps it did not get through to you.

Anyway, most definitely, this post is for everyone, please feel free to discuss jobs among yourselves. Gossamer Threads is one busy place these days and it is impossible for us to handle each and every request for custom modifications.

The one advantage that we might have is that we've done quite a few of these mods and we sometimes have code that we can recycle, which makes it more cost efficient.

Jack.

Quote Reply
This is great!

And I know what you mean about the code. Once you take the time to build the building blocks, it's a lot easier to put them together in different ways. The more you share it, the less you need to charge per project, and the less time it takes.

You might want to set up a policy about posting, though, since on any board I've been on for the past 15+ years, this sort of topic starts to get abused with "spam" type posting. While the registration does help cut that down, it can still happen.

Want ads usually aren't the problem. The "consultants" trolling for business are. While they may not actually get the jobs, they start to increase the noise, and start flame wars.

Hopefully, it won't come to that, but word gets around, and with the .com's all putting people on the unemployment line, the potential is great. It would be a shame to see a nice place like this start to have problems.

Just a comment from experience.

On a low volume board, one thing has been to limit consultant ads to 1 per month. On higher traffic ones, 1 per week. And to terminate with prejudice anyone who breaks that. It's a shame, but any "public" place is always abused by a few.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Thanks for the advice!

Most definitely, this board will be monitored frequently by Gossamer Threads' staff and we will be deleting or editing offensive posts if they arise.

Helpful "consultants" will be welcome anytime however. This is one of the issues that we grappled with for some time before deciding on having this as an open forum. The need for monitoring of posters was somewhat of a deterrent for us in the opening of this board. But the demand for this was too strong to ignore, so here we are.

For quicker response, please send mail to me via jack@gossamer-threads.com