Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
DBMan Customisation
Hi,

My website is MusicalMobile.com and i have lots of ringtones on there, currently for Ericsson, Nokia and Siemens mobile phones.

I am planning on expanding this to offer ringtones for Alcatel, Motorola, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Sanyo and Sony mobile phones aswell, and instead of making a new page for each ringtone (which is what I do now), I would like it if a particular ringtone could be pulled off the database and shown to the user when requested.

I've had a look at the script for DBMan and i can't get my head round it whatsoever, so can anyone help me out here?

All I need someone to do is to customise the script by adding the ringtones to the database and customising it so that my website design appears.

Can you please email your quotes into me at webmaster@musicalmobile.com.

Thanks,

Matt.

Quote Reply
Re: DBMan Customisation In reply to
If this is a "categorical" listing of "ring-tones", then you might have better luck with Links 2.0 or if you anticipate a large database, then use LINKS SQL.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
What i plan to do is have different categories, such as Pop, Rock, Rap, R & B, etc.. and when the user clicks on the category, a list of all the ringtone names in the database appear, and when one is clicked the relevant information appears, such as Name, Tempo, Keypresses etc..

I would like it if the particular ringtone would appear on its own page. (that way it looks neater)

But does Links 2.0 allow me to store ringtones in some kind of database, because i dont want to have to make loads of pages myself.

Would I need Links 2.0 or Links SQL if i were to have, say, in total about 5,000 ringtones (due to all the different formats) to start with, and it would be likely to grow to 10,000.

I don't understand CGI at all, so please help me out.

Would you be able to help me? (For a fee, ofcourse)

Quote Reply
Uh...Links 2.0 and DBMAN 2.04 use the SAME flat file DATABASE system! So, thus, yes, it will store information within a "database" file (I urge you to read the product information pages to better understand what the programs do).

And with LINKS 2.0, the "category" pages are automatically built and updated with a built-in script.

The number of records you can store in a flat file varies on a variety of factors (mentioned quite a lot in the various support forums), so I cannot give you an absolute answer in terms of record numbers. But typically, if the database file exceeds 1.0 MG of data with a flat file, data processing is adversely affected (like adding, editing, deleting, and searching records).

Why don't you download LINKS 2.0 and start installing it and then if you have questions about customizing it, then search the Resources section and also the support forums...Can't find any answers after doing that, then post questions in the appropriate support forum!

Regards,

Eliot Lee