Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Announcements :

Gossamer Mail 2.0 Beta 2 Available!

Quote Reply
Gossamer Mail 2.0 Beta 2 Available!
Hi,

We are pleased to announce that beta 2 of Gossamer Mail is now available in the download area. This version is now feature complete. All that remains to be done is the help section, the WAP templates and the Gossamer Mail 1.x upgrade script.

I'd invite all our Gossamer Mail users to try it out as the templates have been finalized. Gossamer Mail 2 templates will not be compatible with version 1. So if you plan on upgrading, you may want to get a head start and play around with the templates.

I'd love to get some feedback on the templates. We went in a completely different direction from version 1. These templates are non frame based and work on all browsers. There is little javascript, but we've found them to be much more usable. For instance here's a screenshot of the regular templates running on a text only browser:

http://gossamer-threads.com/images/links_screen.jpg

It still looks and works really well. We've found these templates to be extremely usable and hopefully your users will think so to. Please let me know what you think, and whether it is worthwhile upgrading the frames based templates to version 2.

Be sure to read the UPGRADE notes if you plan on upgrading from Beta 1.

What's New:
There were a lot of bug fixes and several new features including:

Message Search: users can now search on messages using the simple search or advanced search.

Remote POP Manager: You can now manage your pop box easily, deleting messages directly off of the POP server, or marking ones as already downloaded.

Integrated SpellChecker: There is now a built in SpellChecker that is very quick. It can produce a list of similiar sounding words, and has a list of Auto Correct words as well. Also included is the ability for users to add words to their own custom dictionary!

Improved Installer: This installer will recognize any changes you make to your .cgi or .pm files, and next time you upgrade, automatically back up those files.

Plus a lot more minor options are in the admin (such as ability to select whether to require an email address, or not).

Online Demo
Unfortunately we still don't have an admin that you can demo without actually downloading the program, but you can give our user side a full testing at:

http://freemail.gossamer-threads.com/

You'll need a valid email address when signing up, but this is an admin option that can be changed.

Note: Unfortunately we were not able to preserve existing accounts, so you'll have to resign up.

Please give it a try and let me know what you think! Our tentative schedule is to have beta 3 out this week with the upgrade script and wap templates completed, and the final a week later.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: Gossamer Mail 2.0 Beta 2 Available! In reply to
Hi,

I've just disabled the email check, so you should be able to log straight in.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.