Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

how to transfer image from one dir to another?

Quote Reply
how to transfer image from one dir to another?
I am hoping someone knows how to move an image file from one directory to another. This will be used in the validation/approval process, where the successful submission (uploaded file) will be transferred from a validation directory to the "real" directory. I am using the lowly Links2, but the process should be similar for most of the GT scripts. So far I have the image getting from the add form, through an upload validation sub (size, type, etc), and into the holding area. The image shows up in the validate/modify forms, so I can see what they uploaded.

Now I need to do the more complicated stuff, like unlinking if denied (easy enough), and moving the approved images to the correct location (harder). There is a field in the .db for the file name, so I don't have to keep track of extension variables (png, gif, jpg). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] how to transfer image from one dir to another? In reply to
Hi,

Have you tried File::Copy ?

What I would do, is maybe try with the simpler option first:

Code:
`mv /old/path.gif /new/path.gif`;

..or system(qq|mv /old/path.gif /new/path.gif|)

Otherwise, you could look at using File::Copy I guess.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] how to transfer image from one dir to another? In reply to
You should use File::Copy before resorting to icky system calls which are not portable, i.e. it will not work on Windows!.

Last edited by:

Wychwood: Nov 17, 2009, 7:05 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] how to transfer image from one dir to another? In reply to
Ok, working on that suggestion, thanks.

I put use File::Copy; at the start (below Eval code) in admin.cgi, and in db.pl, sub verify, I used this:

$original_file = "$SAVE_DIRECTORY/validate/$in{'Filename'}";
$new_file = "$SAVE_DIRECTORY/$in{'Filename'}";
move($original_file, $new_file) or die "Move failed: $!";

I got this: Error Message : fatal error: Move failed: Invalid argument at /path/to/links/cgi-bin/photo_upload/admin/db.pl line 710. (changed the path...). The move($original_file etc is line 710.

So then I changed the variables to absolute paths, and tried to move a specific file...

move("/path/to/links/cgi-bin/photo_upload/pics/validate/10.jpg", "/path/to/links/cgi-bin/photo_upload/pics/10.jpg") or die "Move failed: $!";

but it did not work... (Line number changed due to added code.)

Error Message : fatal error: Move failed: No such file or directory at /path/to/links/cgi-bin/photo_upload/admin/db.pl line 712.

Yes, the file is there.
Yes, File::Copy is on the server. Any thoughts?

If I don't put in the die statement, admin.cgi executes as normal.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
MMm, this should work:

move("/path/to/links/cgi-bin/photo_upload/pics/validate/10.jpg", "/path/to/links/cgi-bin/photo_upload/pics/10.jpg") or die "Move failed: $!";

If you remove the "or die", does the file actually get moved?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
No, it did not move. Will continue experimenting...

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
What permissions do the feiles have? Also, who are they "owned" by#? (i.e "root", "apache", or "user" ?)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
The directory is 755, the file is 666, not sure how to determine ownership, but I suspect 'user'.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
What happens if you do it in just a basic test.pl script?

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Content-Type: text/html \n\n";
use File::Copy;

print "Done...";

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
As I made the test file, it jumped out at me that I had the wrong directory: cgi-bin instead of www! Blush
So if I use the absolute path, and name the file to be moved, it works, but using a variable (any variable), it does not.

Not working:
$original_file_path = "$SAVE_DIRECTORY/validate/$in{'Filename'}";
$new_file_path = "$SAVE_DIRECTORY/$in{'Filename'}";
move($original_file_path, $new_file_path) or die "Move failed: $!";

Not working:
move("/path/to/links/www/photo_upload/pics/validate/$in{'Filename'}", "/path/to/links/www/photo_upload/pics/$in{'Filename'}") or die "Move failed: $!";

No error (validates new link), not working (no pic move), renames validate directory to }:
my $file_name= "$in{'Filename'}";
move("/path/to/links/www/photo_upload/pics/validate/$file_name", "/path/to/links/xvmcoc/www/photo_upload/pics/$file_name}") or die "Move failed: $!";

Same result if quotes removed:
my $file_name= $in{'Filename'};

or if my is removed.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Apparently the problem is in getting the variable, which is not happening correctly. If I specify what $file_name is (31.jpg), then it moves the file correctly. At least now I see where further investiagation is needed. The image name is stored in the field Filename, so shouln't this work? The code works in that location if I specify the file name...

In Links2, db.pl, sub verify:

# Now let's see if we have something to add to the real database, then
# let's do it.
if ($rec_to_validate) {
open (DB, ">>$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in validate_records, unable to open db file: $db_file_name. Reason: $!");
flock(DB, 2) if ($db_use_flock);

foreach $id (keys %validate_list) {
if ($validate_list{$id} == 2) {
print DB &join_encode(%{$links{$id}});
$validate_list{$id} = 0;
}
}
close DB;
# >>> Image Upload mod 4 (next 2 lines) (add.cgi)
$file_name= "$in{'Filename'}";

move ("$SAVE_DIRECTORY/validate/$file_name", "$SAVE_DIRECTORY/$file_name") or die "Move failed: $!";
# <<<

}

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Hi,

Assuming all the variables are right, it should work fine. You tried doing a "print" of the path its trying to access?

Been a while since I worked on Links2, so afraid I can't help you any more than that :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
The ony variable available right there is $id, so I need to access a hash and get the rest of the link info, I guess...

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
This works! Smile Had to look in the correct directory... Must be suffering from code blindness. Cool

Code:
opendir (GRAPHIC, "$SAVE_DIRECTORY/validate") or &cgierr("unable to open directory in delete records: $SAVE_DIRECTORY. Reason: $!");
@files = readdir(GRAPHIC);
closedir (GRAPHIC);
$file_test = $id . ".";
foreach $file (@files) {
if ($file =~ /^$file_test/) {
move("$SAVE_DIRECTORY/validate/$file", "$SAVE_DIRECTORY/$file") or die "Move failed: $!";
}
}

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie

Last edited by:

PerlFlunkie: Nov 18, 2009, 4:16 PM
Quote Reply
haha I've suffered from that more than my fair share of times ;) Glad its working now though.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I don't think you can put $in{'Filename'} inside a quoted string. It won't interpolate the variable. You need to remove the single quotes or assign the value to another variable and use that, eg:

my $file = $in{'Filename'};

Last edited by:

Wychwood: Nov 19, 2009, 5:00 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] how to transfer image from one dir to another? In reply to
Andy, thanks, and I know you have had the same affliction! Pirate

Wychwood, that has bben a problem , and I have solved it before as you suggested. It's not easy trying to keep the code simple...

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie