Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

XML Anyone?

Quote Reply
XML Anyone?
Is anyone making use of XML technology to drive their web sites? Database driven websites, I presume.

Have GT got any plans on developing XML based products? I was just wondering it would be a waste of time developing a PHP version of some of your programs where XML looks a hellofalot more powerful.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] XML Anyone? In reply to
XML is not a programming language, it's a way to describe data. PHP vs XML is not a valid comparison. PHP scripts can USE XML, however.
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark Badolato] XML Anyone? In reply to
But you can write your pages in 'pure' XML, and deliver all content from a database using perl and XML, or PHP and XML or just XML. You can deliver it via XHTML can't you?!

If it's just a way of describing data, then it would be very much uesless and I don't understand the hype about it? Hmm. I must be missing something big.

As I understand from reading, and seeing and trying out examples, you can actually deliver content to a web browser with XML, through XHTML or XSML? And if you intergrate it with Perl, through some XML parser, then you can unleash it's full power, or that's why I believed?

If it is a better way to describe and treat data, will GT be using the technology to power their databases?

- wil
Post deleted by RedRum In reply to

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 16, 2001, 12:00 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] XML Anyone? In reply to
I wrote several procedures for xml export/import working with GT sites I'm maintaining. I'm using them basically for RSS import/export and to export data from GT based sites to other applications. For example XML is a very smart system fo feed a Flash or other databases. If someone is interested I can post some nice sites where I found very useful infos.

bye bye

lepo

Lepo
Quote Reply
Re: [Lepo75] XML Anyone? In reply to
XML for Dummies Smile - it has some good info on stylesheets as well. Barnes & Noble also has some online classes. I recently ran into it where some closing software was using custom XML tags to describe imported data. It's good if you're sharing data, docs on an industry-wide type of level. You wouldn't use it to mark up your personal web site though. Examples would be libraries, genealogy, etc. It'd be good for Links if you were sharing links with other sites.

Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] XML Anyone? In reply to
Yeah, that would be great.

That would actually be very clever, feeding XML data to a Flash program from Links. Hmm.

There is an example of this in the example sites section I believe ?

- wil