Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Unique Cookie Tagging

Quote Reply
Unique Cookie Tagging
Hiya... looking for recommendations on user tracking with cookies. Right now, I only cookie users that have an account with their username, and optionally their encrypted password and whether they want to auto-login.

I'm thinking of tagging ALL users with:

1) a unique ID (perhaps IP+time of first visit?)
2) initial referer
3) number of sessions reset each day

Anything else I might be missing on this list? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: [oldmoney] Unique Cookie Tagging In reply to
Do you have a real need to track them?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Unique Cookie Tagging In reply to
Paul, I guess I don't understand what you mean... given sufficient processing power, too much data is never a bad thing. Wink
Quote Reply
For mulitple computer use, it would be better to track those variables via server side solution through a database. Using cookies is not that reliable since people use multiple computers to access web sites and they can disable cookies.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Also; look up the Data Protection Act. It is <very strong>illegal</very strong> to keep "too much" data. You should only keep data that is neccessary for what you're trying to do and, if applicable with user concent. And you must discard the data within a given time frame (usually two to three weeks) unless you have a very good reason to hold onto the data.

Please do bare this in mind.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Unique Cookie Tagging In reply to
Unless I am very much mistaken, I am not governed by EU law (thank goodness). And apparently, I must be the only webmaster who is interested in tracking unique visitors... I think I'll start an industry around it and perhaps call it Consumer Intelligence. Oh, wait... it already exists. Angelic