Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Stop form mail script sending bounced emails to username@localhost

Quote Reply
Stop form mail script sending bounced emails to username@localhost
I'm using a form mail script (AlienForm2 for anyone interested) in several places on my site. I've noticed that when it encounters a problem sending an email, the bounced messages get sent automatically to username@localhost (where "username" is my username). I think this has something to do with the fact that my hosting company has configured their servers such that all cgi scripts run as the username who owns them, rather than as "nobody".

At any rate, I need these bounced emails to be sent to my email address instead, since it is sometimes vitally important that I know when a message has not gone through (people use the script to enroll in health insurance plans, for example, and some people have had their enrollments severely delayed by this problem).

I've send a couple of support inquiries to the hosting company's support team, and the best I've been able to get out of them is:

Quote:

The usual place to specify the envelope-sender (the address in the Return-Path header) is to use 'sendmail -f user@example.com' (where user@example.com is the envelope-sender address).

Since it's not really their problem, I hesitate to press the matter much further, but I really am not sure what this means or how to implement it.

Any advice would sure be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] Stop form mail script sending bounced emails to username@localhost In reply to
They are recommending that you use "flags" after your SENDMAIL configs in your CGI scripts.

Example:

Quote:

my $sendmail = '/usr/bin/sendmail - f';

For more information, uou could try reading the sendmail manual in your server...

Quote:

man sendmail

Although I can understand if you can't understand the system manuals, they are not written for newbies or non-technical audiences.

You could also try searching for sendmail flags via Google.

And you should also contact the author of that CGI script or read through his or her online documentation regarding the script for further assistance.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Stop form mail script sending bounced emails to username@localhost In reply to
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

Quote:

And you should also contact the author of that CGI script or read through his or her online documentation regarding the script for further assistance.

Yeah, that's the funny part. After I posted that message it occured to me that only one of the four forms I use was bouncing emails at all. I looked at my settings on that one, and I realized that I had improperly configured the "From:" part of the message header. Blush I think the script takes this issue into account after all, and I just made a small mistake in setting it up...

Thanks again.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] Stop form mail script sending bounced emails to username@localhost In reply to
This may help:

http://www.tac.eu.org/...n/man-cgi?sendmail+8