Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Search Engine Script

Quote Reply
Search Engine Script
I'm looking for a search engine script for my site that can go through and search through
all my pages. My site is fairly large (about 250 html pages and has a lot of directories).

I've looked everywhere for search scripts but the only ones I've come across aren't
powerful enough to go down multiple levels(directories) and look through out the whole site the search
is setup on.

There are many powerful "remotely hosted" searches out there but I want to have full
control over it so I'm wanting one that I can setup on my own server/account.

Can anyone suggest one that would be good to use? I'm prepared to buy one but I don't want
to spend a lot of money.

Thanks for any assistance given.

Quote Reply
Re: Search Engine Script In reply to
Try http://www.xav.com...their Index Search engine is nice and I modded it to reduce data processing and CPU..since the older version tended to eat up memory during the build process.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks a lot for that Eliot.... Looks very interesting... I'll set it up and let you know how I get on.

Cheers. Smile

Quote Reply
It should fit your needs...but keep in mind that the Xavatoria Search Engine (indexed search) builds a flat database file, which can become quite large. Without hacking the build script, the size of the database file with a 700+ web site running via IIS on NT 4.0 was around 2.5 MGs...I use the hacked version on another site that is quite small (in terms of web pages --> 100+ web pages), but rich in text and the database file is 230K. The size will vary depending on the amount of text in your pages, number of web pages, and also the amount of hacks you apply to filter unnecessary folders and files.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hey guys
If your site uses meta tags consider using the Meta tag search script at:
http://www.syvilnet.com/syv/scripts.htm
It works fine on my site with over 5000 Html files. Does not use CPU and it is really fast.

Regards

Quote Reply
That is a decent script IF you use Meta tags. Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for your posts guys Smile

Most of my pages don't have meta tags so I can't really use that script... 5000 html pages!!!! Shocked

I'm just about to go and try that search script you suggested Eliot.

Quote Reply
I'm getting really confused with that search script you suggested Eliot.

Do you know of any other search scripts that
I could use that are just as powerful but easier to setup?

Quote Reply
Not really...I found Xavatoria Search to be quite easy to install and configure.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Ok I'll give it another ago. There's so many files that I get a little lost.

Quote Reply
This discussion is a little old now but I have a couple of new questions about it.

Fluid Dynamics has two search engines. First there is "Xavatoria Search Engine." I played with it some and it looks promising. Is there any way to put a search box on your homepage or does the search have to be from the search.htm page?

The also have "Fluid Dynamics Search Engine." Anyone have any luck with it.

Since this whole thread started so long ago are there any other (new) search engine scripts I should know about?