Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

meta tag inlcuder?

Quote Reply
meta tag inlcuder?
Is there such a thing as a meta tag includer?

I've tried using SSI to include in all my important pages, so instead of updating page after page, I can just use txt scripts. But it doesn't work, since I suppose it's in the Head tag and not the body tag.

I would like something different in every page, so I can update them, ect for search engine spiders for best results.

I need my page to be able to call a txt file or something that will function in the Head Tag of the page, and have it point to different files for each page. Update keywords, description, ect.

Can someone help me with this, or direct me in the right place to get one?

Thanks
dunno

God Bless our Great Nation

God Bless every Family involved in the Tragedy

God Bless all Rescue Efforts

God Bless Peace on Earth

Quote Reply
Re: [dunno] meta tag inlcuder? In reply to
I don't see why a ssi include in the <head></head> wouldn't work...
I haven't used SSI's very much, so I can't help you there.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Couple suggestions...

1) Write a CGI script to INCLUDE that uses the $ENV{'SCRIPT_URI'} variable to print the appropriate header file in each of your pages.

2) Use a template parser, like the one for Links 2.0 or the one tha junko (GT user) wrote based on Links 2.0 and create a dynamic web site using parameters to control what template to print with dynamic elements like header/footer files.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] meta tag inlcuder? In reply to
My understanding is that if you use ssi for your meta tags, they (the keywords in the metatags) will not be visible to the search engine as it will only index static content - no?
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] meta tag inlcuder? In reply to
Whooooooo.....

Smile

I don't know how to write nothing except for HTML. Actually quite good at it, but cgi....no no.

I used to program a TRS-80, and taught all the teachers at my school....long ago.....lol.

But haven't touch code for about 13 years, and A LOT has changed... Smile

As for the SSI tags not being spidered by the SE's, yeah, I didn't think about that....

Would cgi scripts be scanned by the SE's, or does the page have to be displayed to run the code before it works?

Hmm.... A little more help? Or point me to a script one of ya might have seen floating around with "Directions".....hehe.

Thanks for anything,

dunno

God Bless Peace on Earth

Quote Reply

Quote:
Would cgi scripts be scanned by the SE's, or does the page have to be displayed to run the code before it works?

Well, lately I have seen a lot of my cgi generated pages in google results. I have not seen them on any other search engines.
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] meta tag inlcuder? In reply to
So basically, nothing I can do.....

Damn, not good. That is a lot of work editing every page, saving, uploading.....

Txt files would be soooooo much easier.....

Thanks people,

dunno

God Bless Peace on Earth