Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Only .pl allowed by the webhoster

Quote Reply
Only .pl allowed by the webhoster
Hi !

I was running into trouble because my webhoster 1and1 only supports the .pl extension for perl scripts. Any files with .cgi extension aren`t executable. Is there any workaround, if I want to install Fileman without editing the whole scripts ? Most of the scripts are based on .cgi extension and internal links will follow to other .cgi extensions.

Tanks for help..

Lothar
Quote Reply
Re: [Lothar] Only .pl allowed by the webhoster In reply to
Hi Lothar,

You might be able to override this with .htaccess:

Code:
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

Create a .htaccess in your doc root with that line in it and see what happens. Here are some additional details: http://httpd.apache.org/...mime.html#addhandler

~Charlie
Quote Reply
no way In reply to
hmmm... although the webserver is Apache 1.3 I can`t override the cgi settings with the .htaccess. The .cgi files aren`t still executable. I crosschecked properly working of .htaccess. I don`t know why 1and1 blocks the .cgi extension. This is shit. ok... Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [Lothar] Only .pl allowed by the webhoster In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi !

I was running into trouble because my webhoster 1and1 only supports the .pl extension for perl scripts. Any files with .cgi extension aren`t executable. Is there any workaround, if I want to install Fileman without editing the whole scripts ? Most of the scripts are based on .cgi extension and internal links will follow to other .cgi extensions.

Tanks for help..

Lothar

Setting the server up to execute .cgi is a simple matter for the web host and they should do it for you. If they won't, or can't, then you honestly should look for a new host. If they can't do something like this for you in 2004, then they're too incompetent to handle any "real" issue and you don't want to be with the,

my opinion at least :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Lothar] no way In reply to
Have you contacted your provider to ask them to fix this yet? I have to agree with Mark on this one, this is a trivial fix and if they cant or wont do this, it's time to move on.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] no way In reply to
yeah, I will send them an email to fix this. But I doubt that they will change anything. 1and1 is a big webhoster in Europe. They started business in the US and currently give away 3 years webspace with all features for free. No credit card or payment needed, only phone number necessary.(www.1and1.com) The only drawback was this cgi pain I did run into. The FAQ tells you that only .pl is supported, therfore I think they won`t change it. UnimpressedUnsure