Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

God Banner Rotator...

Quote Reply
God Banner Rotator...
Anyone know of a good banner rotator? My sites are using AdCyycle at the moment...but blooming hell does is slow the server down! I get about 70k hits between my sites a day, and now the server is soooo slow I can't even get in to rename the file and work out another solution!

Anyone know of any free/shareware ones? Oh, and I've searched hostscripts and cgi resources, but none of them look very good. If worst comes to worst I suppose I may have to write one Frown

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] God Banner Rotator... In reply to
Are you running Mod_Perl?
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] God Banner Rotator... In reply to
Think so . Paul installed it for me.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
adcycle... ack! One look at the code is all you need to see why it's so slow... but don't you have an old Ford Model T server to begin with? Smile

I've begun working on a not-so-bloated banner program a few weeks ago. If you'd like to hack around with some of the codes I'd be glad to let you see it... pm me in private.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
No mod_perl isn't installed.

Adcycle is probably the root cause of the problem but having quite a slow server isn't going to give you a head start.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 27, 2002, 5:45 AM
Quote Reply
Have a look at PG-Bannieres PRO. You can find it there :
http://www.perl-pro.com/...nierespro/index.html

This is in French... Wink
Quote Reply
I am wondering no one suggested phpAdsNew, a great script:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpadsnew/
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] God Banner Rotator... In reply to
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've written a very basic script to do what I need at the moment, but I gotta get acess to the server to change over the places using it Tongue I may also be using Junkos script when he gets back to me (thanks junko, btw Smile).

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
On thing that would speed up the process is having a php banner rotator and not a perl one.

Good Luck,
Paul
Webmaster Discussions
Quote Reply
Re: [hacker] God Banner Rotator... In reply to
Yup, just wrote my own PHP banner roator. Only gonna use it til Junko gets back to me with his script though, as mine is very basic Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk