Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

SpeedyCGI? Experiences Installing in a Shared Server Environment?

Quote Reply
SpeedyCGI? Experiences Installing in a Shared Server Environment?
I'd like to use the GT Forum scripts, but I'm encountering "500 Internal Server Error" messages. This happens more often than not and is unusual for servers at my provider PAIR networks. GT Links SQL is installed on the same server and I have never encountered this error. I'm using a shared server with PAIR networks.

Thinking that perhaps I can avoid the above error message by utilizing SpeedyCGI, I cannot perform a "make" without encountering errors related to permission issue, even when installing in my user account storage area. Does anyone have experience installing SpeedyCGI in a shared server environment? What obstacles did you have and how did you overcome them?

My efforts with SpeedyCGI may be futile (if I ever get it to install) if it plus the GT Forum scripts violate any of these PAIR CGI usage fences:

* Size of Core Files - 0 MB
* CPU Time Used - 30 seconds
* Data Size - 3 MB
* File Size Created - 1 MB
* Memory Locked - 1 MB
* Number of Open Files - 32
* Number of Simultaneous Processes - 8

Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: [scottv] SpeedyCGI? Experiences Installing in a Shared Server Environment? In reply to
Even if you got past make/make test you'd need to be root for make install

Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] SpeedyCGI? Experiences Installing in a Shared Server Environment? In reply to
Paul,
Thanks for the reply. Going back to a Links SQL forum thread from Jan '01, ALEX advocated SpeedyCGI on non-dedicated servers vs. mod_perl for dedicated servers. I've read (other places) that SpeedyCGI does not require Root access and I think this is why I'm so hard-headed in exploring why I can't get it to install correctly.

In Reply To:
Even if you got past make/make test you'd need to be root for make install

Scott

Quote Reply
Re: [scottv] SpeedyCGI? Experiences Installing in a Shared Server Environment? In reply to
You dont need root access to run a script under SpeedyCGI but you need root access to install it. Contact your technical support and ask them to install it for you then you should be set.

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [CP] SpeedyCGI? Experiences Installing in a Shared Server Environment? In reply to
No, you can install SpeedyCGI locally in your own directory, and then just set the path to perl to #!/home/user/bin/speedy or wherever you put it.

They may not like it though as the script is a daemon and stays running all the time.

Your 500 server errors are probably not related to that. We did fix a login bug that was generating 500 server errors on perl 5.00404 systems.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] SpeedyCGI? Experiences Installing in a Shared Server Environment? In reply to
Thanks. This is not likely a fix for me; perl -v delivers:

"This is perl, v5.6.0 built for i386-freebsd"

Alex, can you provide any further insight on the SpeedyCGI "make" issues?

Thanks again.

Scott

In Reply To:

Your 500 server errors are probably not related to that. We did fix a login bug that was generating 500 server errors on perl 5.00404 systems.

Cheers,

Alex