Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Perl script for reading POP3 mail

Quote Reply
Perl script for reading POP3 mail
I am looking for a Perl script that can read POP3 mail and store in a flatfile. This script would run from the user's account periodically to read the mail and put it in a simple flatfile database consisting of three fields - sender, subject and bodytext. I have looked around on the web (cgi/perl resources) trying to find such a script or similar script without success.

I guess I will not find a script for such a specific requirement!!!

I will greatly appreciate if someone help me with Perl code for reading the mail from POP3, rest I think I can manage.
Quote Reply
Re: Perl script for reading POP3 mail In reply to
It seems there was something like that in the "Perl for Dummies" book. Possibly you could go to a bookstore and look at the book to see if my memory is correct. I can't find my copy of the book right now.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
NO!

Don't go anywhere near Perl For Dummies. It is the biggest waste of money.

If you read comp.lang.perl.misc the subject often comes up. That book is so full of errors and bad coding style that it should never have been allowed to go into print.

Seriously. Some of the MAJOR Perl guru's have condemmend that book. I would take their advice and stay clear. Smile

--mark
Quote Reply
The major problem I found for Perl for Dummies is the terrible use of examples choices. His example variables twist your mind into a pretzel hehe!
Quote Reply
Well, I don't think Perl for Dummies is very good either. Learning Perl is a whole lot better. However, there is (if memory serves) code in there for POP3 mail. And I got a nifty little routine to make random passwords that I like very much.

It ain't very good, but it's got some things that are useful.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
TIF:

I did respond with some links to thread in the DBMan Discussion forum which might provide what you need.

After being yelled at by a few others, you probably didn't check that thread again Smile

But I think the information I posted may be of help Smile