Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Perl philosophy and Gossamer

Quote Reply
Perl philosophy and Gossamer
Hi peoples,

I am a total noob to Gossamer and Perl but it's part of my job to get to know it. I have plenty of experience in programming C and Java though. Call me a bit thick but learning this stuff has been an arse. I know Perl is inherently different to C which gives it some advantages.

This is in the help file for GT::SQL::Table ...

my $sth = $obj->select('Col2', 'Col3', { Col => "Val" }); is equivalant to ``SELECT Col2,Col3 FROM Table WHERE Col => 'Val'''.

I guess I am asking more general questions about Perl's philosopy but working out that line of code drove me a bit insane. It took me a few hours to realise the Col2 Col3 Col and Val are all just strings. Am I stupid? The quotation marks and lack of them confused the hell out of me!
Quote Reply
Re: [chrisowen] Perl philosophy and Gossamer In reply to
Hi,

I'd recommend spending some time on www.perldoc.com or picking up the Programming Perl book to get your head around the basic syntax. Perl is quite different from C in many ways, but once you understand the syntax, it should come quite quickly.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: Perl philosophy and Gossamer In reply to
I can hardly ever go to perldoc.com anymore. I've been using http://perldoc.perl.org/ when I can't get to perldoc.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Perl philosophy and Gossamer In reply to
nice link chaz :D favorites add+

pretty full of usefull info. thx.