Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

How do I extract the files from a .tar.gz file on my web-site?

Quote Reply
How do I extract the files from a .tar.gz file on my web-site?
I have uploaded a .tar.gz file to my web-site and have tried to extracht the content with Archive::Tar, but without luck. According to my web-host the Archive::Tar modul is installed!

The script I use (or more precisely: the lates i have tried) is as follows:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

use Archive::Tar;
$tar->extract_archive("billeder.tar.gz");
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "OK its extracted\n";

I am an ignoramus when it comes to perl moduls so the script might by rather stupid. Please help
Quote Reply
Re: [rompole] How do I extract the files from a .tar.gz file on my web-site? In reply to
Do you have ssh access?....if so use:

tar -zxvf billeder.tar.gz

If not, try first creating a $tar object Wink:

Code:
my $tar = Archive::Tar->new("billeder.tar.gz", 1);

$tar->extract($tar->list_files);

Last edited by:

Paul: Feb 3, 2003, 3:22 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] How do I extract the files from a .tar.gz file on my web-site? In reply to
Hi Poul!

I have tried your suggestion but I still get the message that the server is uable to complete my request because of an internal error or misconfigurationFrown.

This is the complete script I have used:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

use Archive::Tar;
my $tar = Archive::Tar->new("billeder.tar.gz", 1);
$tar->extract($tar->list_files);

I have checked CHMOD and it's set to 777 for both the directory and the file. Can you figure out what else could be the problem?
Quote Reply
Re: [rompole] How do I extract the files from a .tar.gz file on my web-site? In reply to
Chmodding should be 755 not 777

Last edited by:

Paul: Feb 4, 2003, 2:26 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] How do I extract the files from a .tar.gz file on my web-site? In reply to
doesn't help so I have just e-mailed the system department at my web-host and asked them to confirm what the customer service department have been telling me earlier in the phone namely that the module is installed. Answer - it's not installed but it will be at the next upgrate!Mad

I am sorry I have misspend your timeBlush.

You ask if I got ssh access. I am not quite sure what you mean... is it shell access?
Quote Reply
What does your error log report? Check that if you can, if not, add this code somewhere above use Archive::Tar; and see if that helps;
Code:
use CGI::Carp qw/fatalsToBrowser/;

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] How do I extract the files from a .tar.gz file on my web-site? In reply to
I think he has to wait for his host to install Archive::Tar Smile
Quote Reply
I think you're correct, I didn't spot anything wrong with your code. Would a bad path to the archive cause the problem maybe?

~CP
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] How do I extract the files from a .tar.gz file on my web-site? In reply to
Here is the quote from a couple of posts up :)

>>
Answer - it's not installed but it will be at the next upgrate!
<<
Quote Reply
Ooops, missed that :)