Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Apache2/mod_perl

Quote Reply
Apache2/mod_perl
Hi,

I've got a big problem.

Now I have an Apache2 Server (Linux) and I don't know how to set up mod_perl correctly.

What do I have to enter into httpd.conf and the startup.pl ??

I want to run LinksSQL, GT_Forum,GT_Mail & DBSQL-Man under mod_perl.

Quick help is very welcome!

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] Apache2/mod_perl In reply to
Mmmm this could be tricky.

I think I remember Alex saying the products don't currently support mod_perl2 (which you need as you are using Apache2). You may find they appear to run at first but I don't know how successfully for production sites.

There is quite a bit of work involved in installing mod_perl. It's not as simple as making a few changes in httpd.conf (well depending on your installation choice).

The best thing you can do is read here, specifically section two...

http://perl.apache.org/.../2.0/user/index.html
Quote Reply
Hi,

The programs don't yet work with mod_perl 2 as it's not yet stable. I would stick with Apache 1.3.27 and mod_perl 1.27, there isn't much of a reason to upgrade unless you are taking advantadge of some of the advanced mod_perl features.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Apache2/mod_perl In reply to
O.K. afterwards everyone is more clever.

Now I already got the apache 2 server

(@paul: mod_perl is already installed, just the changes as mentioned above have to be done)

So as I understand you right, there's no chance to run the programs under mod_perl at the moment!??

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Hi,

No, not mod_perl 2. mod_perl 2 is still beta and is not yet released.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I'm sucessfully running Gossamer Mail 2.1.1 Upgrade under Apache 2 and mod_perl 2 using the apache::compat mode.

It' took a little while to figure out the new mod_perl configuration and setup to get it functioning but it seems to be working fine. I've had it running for about a week now. At least I thought I was running mod_perl 2.0. Looks like RedHat 8.0 includes mod_perl 1.9905?

System Information
======================================
Perl Version: v5.8.0
Gossamer Mail Version: 2.1.1-Upgrade
DBI.pm Version: 1.34
MIME::Base64 Version: 2.12
Digest::MD5 Version: 2.20
Persistant Env: mod_perl (1) SpeedyCGI (0)
Mod Perl Version: 1.9905

GATEWAY_INTERFACE => CGI-Perl/1.1
MOD_PERL => mod_perl/1.99_05-dev
Apache/2.0.40 Server at Port 80
Quote Reply
Re: [DrewBlack] Apache2/mod_perl In reply to
Yep as Alex said, mod_perl 2 is not yet stable so RedHat will not distribute it with their OS. 1.99 is the last stable version.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Apache2/mod_perl In reply to
I'm under the impression that 1.99XX are development versions of the 2.0 code. I followed all of the configuration instructions in the mod_perl 2.0 documentation to get the 1.9905 version running with Gossamer Mail.

My GMail setup sees minimal use. Roughly 150 users and 300 - 400 emails per day. Maybe I won't notice any problems due to the light server load.
Quote Reply
Yeah sorry I got that wrong.

http://perl.apache.org/download/index.html
Quote Reply
Hi,

Good to hear! You may find that it leaks memory under mod_perl 2, so watch out for that or set your MaxRequestsPerChild to something reasonable.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I haven't run into any memory leakage problems in the past 10 days it's been up and running in production, possibly because I have the server settings throttled down pretty well. It's running on an old P2 333 mHz system with 384 MB of RAM. Thankfully this system is dedicated to running only Gossamer Mail. Maybe I'm just lucky? ;)
Quote Reply
Just an update. After running Redhat 8.0 with Apache 2 and mod_perl 1.99 since the beginning of March I switched back to using the older versions of Apache and mod_perl when migrating to a new server platform. I can confirm that there were memory leakage problems. It took about 12-15 days for my server to get out of hand and require a reboot.