Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Windows Updates

Quote Reply
Windows Updates
I'm running WinXP Pro and it's slowed right down and I've noticed some programs are crashing almost everytime (in particular MySQL Control Center). I'm wondering if I should start removing some of the updates (it worked once before with Update 811493). One of my friends has removed ALL the updates and say his machine speed has increased. He says, provided his antivirus software and firewall are all up to date and configured he doesn't need any of the Microsoft updates. I don't know about that.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about -

1/ The speed problem,

2/ The MySQL Control Center compatability problem

I would be most interested.

Thanks.

Simon.
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] Windows Updates In reply to
In terms of Windows Updating...that is really bad advice to not patch your Windows OS, since anti-virus and firewall programs may not be updated as quickly as Windows Updates...so if you fail to update your anti-virus program in time, your system is vulnerable if you don't have the proper Windows patches installed. So, I would recommend that you continue to update your Windows OS.

1) Speed - some Windows XP users have noticed speed downturns after installing a set of patches back in June (prior to the Blaster attacks). There is a lengthy thread in the Chit Chat forum where the patch in question is cited and you could try removing that patch, before un-installing all your Windows updates.

Also, what is your hardware specs, like Processor (single/dual, size - Ghz), RAM, etc. If you are running WinXP on a system lower than 256 MG Ram and running a bunch of services, like web server, RDBMS server(s) (MySQL, SQL Server, etc.), and other client apps with WinXP with less than 256 MG Ram, you are in trouble.

2) In terms of the MySQL CC, what version are you using? I've noticed problems with earlier versions of MySQL CC. I am using .8.2. ALPHA and it works fine for me on WinXP.

I'd also recommend going to:

http://www.tweakxp.com/

and apply some the tweaks in that website. For example, changing your view to Classic View helps. I thought the opposite in that running XP in non-classic view was much faster, but in actuality after changing my view to Classic XP view, my system runs faster with much fewer application crashes.

Also, look into your page filing, Virtual Memory, etc.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Windows Updates In reply to
Hi, Thanks for your reply.
Quote:
In terms of Windows Updating...that is really bad advice to not patch your Windows OS, since anti-virus and firewall programs may not be updated as quickly as Windows Updates...so if you fail to update your anti-virus program in time, your system is vulnerable if you don't have the proper Windows patches installed. So, I would recommend that you continue to update your Windows OS.
That's what I thought, too
Quote:
1) Speed - some Windows XP users have noticed speed downturns after installing a set of patches back in June (prior to the Blaster attacks). There is a lengthy thread in the Chit Chat forum where the patch in question is cited and you could try removing that patch, before un-installing all your Windows updates.

Yeh, I removed that patch back then and it did make a difference. I wonder if any of the recent patches are causing the same kind of problem.
Quote:
Also, what is your hardware specs, like Processor (single/dual, size - Ghz), RAM, etc. If you are running WinXP on a system lower than 256 MG Ram and running a bunch of services, like web server, RDBMS server(s) (MySQL, SQL Server, etc.), and other client apps with WinXP with less than 256 MG Ram, you are in trouble.

That's shouldn't be a problem, I running - Pentium4 2.3 GHz with 512 MB Ram.
Quote:
2) In terms of the MySQL CC, what version are you using? I've noticed problems with earlier versions of MySQL CC. I am using .8.2. ALPHA and it works fine for me on WinXP.

I downgraded from version 0.9.3 Beta to your version 0.8.2 Alpha and it is much more stable (hasn't crashed at all yet). I have hit another problem though - http://gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=253615
Quote:
I'd also recommend going to:

http://www.tweakxp.com/

and apply some the tweaks in that website. For example, changing your view to Classic View helps. I thought the opposite in that running XP in non-classic view was much faster, but in actuality after changing my view to Classic XP view, my system runs faster with much fewer application crashes.
I'm already using Classic XP view but I may take a look at tweakxp and see if I can find any other ideas.
Quote:
Also, look into your page filing, Virtual Memory, etc.
I'm not too sure about those settings but will read up on it. Thanks Simon.