Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Windows NT, and "move"...

Quote Reply
Windows NT, and "move"...
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong with this command?

move d:\inetpub\wwwroot\domain.com\submit\docs\3\2\23-This is the latest test_files\*.* d:\inetpub\wwwroot\domain.com\submit\docs\images\3\2\23\

I've tried everything I can think of (including changing \ to /), but I keep getting an "invalid syntax error". I'm not that familiar with NT (as you can probably tell =)), so any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Windows NT, and "move"... In reply to
It seems to work for me.

Obviously I don't have that path on my system but running the command says "Device not ready" - I would assume that a syntax error would be reported before it tried accessing the path, therefore the syntax must have been accepted.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gmail] Windows NT, and "move"... In reply to
Yeah, thats what confused me :(

Do you think it may be down to the folder name? (I know UNIX can be fussy with " " not being replaced with "%20") Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Windows NT, and "move"... In reply to
It crossed my mind, but when I tried the command it ran successfully (aside from the fact it couldn't find the path).

Having said that, I just created a test folder with spaces in the name and I now get a syntax error.

The solution is to wrap the path with quotes.... "d:\inetpub\foo bar xyz"

Last edited by:

Gmail: Feb 8, 2005, 10:12 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Gmail] Windows NT, and "move"... In reply to
You little beauty.. the quotes worked!

move "d:\source files\*.*" d:\destination\

Thank you!!!! Cool

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk