Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

What is MS .NET ??

Quote Reply
What is MS .NET ??
OK. I give up! I've been searching and looking through the MS site all day, and through Google, and I can't find what exactly is Microsoft .NET ?

There's talk about it everywhere, but what exactly is it? A new technology? A server? An OS? Hmm.

Can someone please enlighten me? And why doesn't microsoft explain what is .NET? grrrr.

Thanks!

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] What is MS .NET ?? In reply to
Took me 2 secs to find this with Yahoo:

http://www.microsoft.com/net/

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 25, 2001, 9:46 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] What is MS .NET ?? In reply to
That report is written in a proprietry language called m$peak. For example, common euphemisms such as "innovate" are actually interpreted by the compiler [it is a compiled language] as "monopolise".

i.e. Microsoft's page is just front and it won't give you the lowdown on what it actually is.

You say you couldn't find anything through google - http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=microsoft+net - i ask, what on earth where you looking for?

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1276-210-6996815-1.html?tag=bt_bh

Microsoft.Net can be summarized in one simple statement: Microsoft is building an Internet monopoly.
Does the very nature of the Internet prevent one company from monopolizing the Internet? In a perfect world, market forces and open standards would prevail. But this isn't a perfect world.

Never underestimate Microsoft. It is poised for success given its broad market penetration, current business practices and deep pockets. But Microsoft's trump card is the desktop monopoly that governs how over 96 percent of people access the Internet. Tie the desktop monopoly to Microsoft-held Internet properties and watch Internet.Net grow.

But success is not guaranteed. As abolitionist Wendell Phillips once said, "The price of liberty is eternal vigilance." Are we willing to cede control of the Internet for the sake of convenience and usability?

Microsoft will experience an enormous negative-feedback loop, in which every success will create new obstacles. Governments and competitors are fiercely battling .Net even before the first .Net components ship. Privacy and security issues alone can derail the entire initiative at the starting gate.

Step One: Control the services
A Web service is a collection of functions packaged as a single entity, published to the network for other applications to use. Technology built upon interoperability specifications like XML, SOAP, WSDL and UDDI forms building blocks for creating distributed systems. The technology can even aggregate other Web services and orchestrate the flow of information and process within and across corporate boundaries. Use and interaction are independent of underlying development languages, tools, hardware and operating systems.

It seems that everyone has a Web services plan these days--Sun Microsystems, IBM, Hewlett-Packard, BEA Systems, Bowstreet and others. These companies are creating tools for building and delivering Web services. Microsoft is a late entrant into this market but soon will provide a developer tool, Visual Studio.Net, and run-time environment, Windows.Net Server (the successor to Windows 2000 Server). Add the millions of Visual Basic developers, and Microsoft will be a formidable opponent.

But winning the game requires more than an application platform or a development toolset. Microsoft is building a complete solution with .Net, one that transcends Web services to deliver an Internet experience, from desktop and desktop services right through to content providers, Internet services and, ultimately, payment.

Step Two: Leverage the monopoly
Microsoft Passport is an Internet authentication service that provides single sign-on to Passport-enabled Web sites and services. Microsoft HailStorm (not yet released) will be a consumer-oriented, subscription-based Internet identity and set of identity-related services. HailStorm requires Passport as its authentication method. People store their personal information within HailStorm and grant others rights to view or interact with their personal HailStorm-held information.

It's arguable that anyone can provide an Internet authentication or identity service that competes with Passport and HailStorm. This is not a question of technology, just a matter of creating critical mass among users, developers and content providers. Given the magnitude of this challenge, very few organizations are capable of delivering a solution.

But here's the kicker: Microsoft has integrated several Passport-enabled services directly into the Windows XP desktop. Windows XP users must use Passport to gain full access to Windows XP desktop services. This builds the Passport (and eventually HailStorm) subscriber base and creates a compelling justification for developers and content providers to adopt Passport and HailStorm within their offerings. Furthermore, it's unlikely that any current or future integrated desktop feature (like messaging or media players) will support anything but Passport and HailStorm. In other words, Microsoft will use its desktop monopoly to create an irreplaceable Internet position.

The Achilles' heel
Microsoft's size and strength are not enough to guarantee success. Windows is strong in the enterprise but has yet to gain significant mind share within the Internet. Microsoft is also creating ill will among developers by abandoning Java (and millions of Java developers) and artificially limiting Visual Studio.Net to Windows.

For .Net to succeed beyond Web services, Passport and HailStorm must gain traction among consumers, developers and content providers. Security is absolutely critical to the success of Passport and HailStorm, yet Microsoft's Internet security track record is dismal. In fact, it's getting worse: Just look at the recent Code Red and SirCam worms and published Passport vulnerabilities.

Consumers are hesitant to trust anyone with their personal and private information. Industries that handle private consumer data, such as banking, health care and insurance, are subject to privacy, security and auditing regulations. Self-regulation in these industries has been deemed insufficient by governing agencies, yet Passport and HailStorm are wholly owned and managed by Microsoft. It is unlikely that Passport and HailStorm can escape regulation, but we can't depend upon governments alone to protect consumers' interests.

It's unquestionable that .Net integration will simplify the Internet experience for millions of users. But at what cost? As a society, are we willing to cede control of the Internet to Microsoft for the sake of usability and convenience? Success is far from guaranteed, but Microsoft will do everything in its power to win. Our eternal vigilance is the only barrier between Microsoft and its next monopoly.

account deleted
Quote Reply
Re: [dragonface] What is MS .NET ?? In reply to
Quote:
But Microsoft's trump card is the desktop monopoly that governs how over 96 percent of people access the Internet.
I doubt much of the 96% of the world that uses MS software shares the same opinion as the author. I'm quite confident that the vast majority could care less since they are uninformed home users, not well informed tech professionals and MS's failing competetition. What you don't know can't hurt you.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
There is no-one to even compete with M$ so how can they be monopolizing....

.....and it isn't a case of there is no competition because they _ARE_ monopolizing.

Quote Reply
Quote:
There is no-one to even compete with M$ so how can they be monopolizing....

I did economics too... but I don't understand that. Can you explain for me? [Given the predicate, isn't your conclusion a non-sequitur?]
account deleted
Quote Reply
How can it be a non-sequitur when your post began with a comment about M$ being a monopoly?

It isn't a conclusion either, it's a prologue :)

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 25, 2001, 3:16 PM
Quote Reply
Second thought, it is the anti-MS techies that are pursuing MS's demise. They are the only ones causing hurt. You elimate the hand that feeds the world and what are we left with? Well the techies will have already switched to another OS, and we'll most likely be force fed different flavors of Linux. That just puts the monopoly in someone elses name, and doens't solve any problem.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFreak] What is MS .NET ?? In reply to
And while we're at the topic: M$ is not exactly scrupulous when it comes to defending their monopolies

=> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/...soft_browsers_1.html

Last edited by:

Tho.mas: Oct 25, 2001, 4:12 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho.mas] What is MS .NET ?? In reply to
Well that is costing them business and advertising commission so it's not exactly helping them.
Quote Reply
> Took me 2 secs to find this with Yahoo:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/net/
>

Thanks... But what is it ?

- wil
Quote Reply
Wow. Thanks for taking the time to write down your thoughts! Much appreciated!

- wil
Quote Reply
> There is no-one to even compete with M$ so how can they be monopolizing....
>
> .....and it isn't a case of there is no competition because they _ARE_ monopolizing.

huh? Can you explain this comment please Paul.

What area of Microsoft's bussiness are you talking about?

http://www.netcraft.com/Survey/

How can you say that they are not a monopoly because they don't have any competition ???

- wil
Quote Reply
Did you even look at that web page wil? There's a graphic in big, bold letters that says ".NET Defined" and a link to an overview on what it is.

Quote:
Quite simply, .NET is Microsoft's platform for XML Web services
http://www.microsoft.com/net/whatis.asp

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
My head is completly spinning. I just can't grasp what this is. Is it a concept, a program, a server? What exactly is a 'platform'?

I know the answers are staring me in the face, I just can't get my head around it! Argh.

Developer's block. :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
hm... yeah it is still a bit vague. The FAQ looks a somewhat more comprehensive

http://www.microsoft.com/net/qa.asp

Might have to read through some of the case examples for a full understanding. I know I don't fully understand it myself yet.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
.NET is a comprehensive family of products, built on industry and Internet standards, that provide for each aspect of developing (tools), managing (servers), using (building block services and smart clients) and experiencing (rich user experiences) XML Web services. .NET will become part of the Microsoft applications, tools, and servers you already use today – as well as new products that extend XML Web service capabilities to all of your business needs.

I suppose that sums it up. Hmm. I really want to get in on all this XML business. I'll have to buy a book over the weekend.

- wil
Quote Reply
The new MSN messanger is quite cool too. However, they do seem to be copying the same kinda interface as Trillian, and the same kind of style of smiles form AOL IM Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] What is MS .NET ?? In reply to
MSN Messenger sucks.
Quote Reply
Well, I like the newest version Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
If anyone is still interested in this topic, I found the following article useful the other day:

http://arstechnica.com/paedia/n/net/net-1.html

- wil
Quote Reply
hmmm ...

Surely sounds like a java type of language with a smidgeon of Webobjects thrown in.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] What is MS .NET ?? In reply to
it seems like the original factor of M$ being in between companies and clients went haywire. Apparently M$ got the middle finger it seem.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile