Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
What?
Could someone please explain to me what a UDP Flood is, in English Smile

My server host banned me (which is fair enough), but I would just like to know what it is...and how I can stop it in the future Unsure

Reported error was;

Attack Method: UDP Flood
Damage: 70k PPS spike on NI
Solution: Pulled source IP from Network

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] What? In reply to
http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=UDP+flood

Set up a firewall.

Last edited by:

Paul: Dec 5, 2002, 2:46 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] What? In reply to
Mmmm..thanks. I was hoping it wasn't something too complicated. I think i will get a mate of mine to install the firewall for me, just incase I mess up the server Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Why has your host banned you if someone was UDP flooding you? Or were you UDP flooding someone, or someone else was using your machine as the source?

You haven't been infected with the Apache/Scalper worm have you? You do keep your system updated and take note of all security bulletins for your OS and software?

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Dec 5, 2002, 3:38 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] What? In reply to
Yeah, my server was being used to flood a remote server...thats why they banned me.

Re updates....I try to keep them updated, but its pretty hard when there are so many always coming out Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
So your system has either been compromised, or someone exploited a recent Apache bug? You should make a clean installation of the system. Check out the thread that Paul posted recently about his system being compromised and the solutions noted by Alex and myself.

Good luck, oh, and you should *seriously* consider managed hosting. :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
I've got the server back online. I paid for someone to do a complete re-install, instal upgrades/patches, and remove any un-needed services that were running. Hopefully won't have any more boo-boos like that Tongue I'm getting him to do this every 2 months, to keep up with things :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Cool. Good news. It's sure worth it in the long run.

- wil
Quote Reply
I thought you moved from self-managed hosting to managed hosting?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] What? In reply to
In Reply To:
I thought you moved from self-managed hosting to managed hosting?

I had to move back...

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Stick it behind a SmoothWall. It'll keep the evil out. Cool

http://www.smoothwall.org

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] What? In reply to
Is Smoothwall any good? I heard a colleague rave about it the other day when I was wrestling with my iptables. The problem is that I run more than just a firewall on the gateway box, so I don't see how I can run smoothwall and other services?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] What? In reply to
hehe, put it on an xserver and enjoy the benefits!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] What? In reply to
We're getting one of those rack mounted xserves for the design studio. They look sexy! But apparently, they're still very very new and rather buggy? You have any experience with them?

- wil
Quote Reply
No, but I've been keeping my eye out for a used one.

Recent errata information here but apparently with OSX Sserver 10.2 plus a few modifications to the hardware (??) you can now run the machine without a monitor! Well, doh, that's not saying much or is it Wink Those who know about not having a monitor to plugin at times will love this lovely feature.

Plus, with the remotedesktop (VNC?) you just login and enjoy setting up the machine within a hour rather than hours.

Streaming.
A compnay looking out to build versions that won't be as easily hacked, hell, with a regular user desktop base you sure can't let mom and pop send in bug reports to redhat. Hubbard and a few other major BSD names on ship, +++

OSX Server also has pretty good built user management abilities, hmmm, I wonder if this is along the lines of what RaQ does?

Oh well, I'm sure, maxpico will be able to give a better run done on the benefits.

hehe, I want to use a xserve as a "deskunder" ...

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
SmoothWall is awesome. I've run it for about a year now with great results. It has tons of features like a transparent web proxy, firewall, intrusion detection, dhcp server, vpn server, dmz, ssh shell via admin console, instant update uploader, all kinds of different modem/connection support, and much more. A buddy of mine has two smooties at separate locations, and has a 128bit encrypted vpn tunnel setup between the two networks (nice feature). He basically uses the internet as his backbone for his intranet. Smoothwall is simply a highly customized linux install with a web frontend. If you need to run anything else, all you have to do is install it. You have to be careful though, because adding and changing things could potentially open holes in your network. The cool thing is, out of the box, it's never been hacked. I've tried scans, attacks, etc., but it drops all unauthorized packets without a response. So, when someone tries to attack (and believe me, I gets tons of attempted attacks) it's like there's nothing there.

http://www.smoothwall.org/about/

Sean