Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Cron job for Apache?

Quote Reply
Cron job for Apache?
Hi! I was wondering if it is possible to set up a cron job using Apache and ActivePerl on a WinXP system? If so, how do I go about it? BTW, to all those who have so kindly helped me with my queries about Apache and Win XP, thanks.

Julian
Julian
Quote Reply
Re: [vampy] Cron job for Apache? In reply to
Nope cron is for *nix ...you'd need to use Windows Scheduler.

Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks.
Quote Reply
Okay, in WinXP Pro, you can do this

1) my computer -> control panel -> performance & maintenance -> scheduled tasks

2) file -> new -> scheduled task

3a) name task. double click for options.

3b) in "tasks", choose the location of the program

3c) in "schedule", choose the run time and frequency, and user/password to run as

3d) in "settings", select any advanced settings you may need.

Not sure if Home Edition has the scheduler or not.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Cron job for Apache? In reply to
Hm. I don't have that in my Control Panel. You mean that little icon on the tasbkar called 'Task Scheduler'?

I'm using Windows 98 here.

Edit: Aha. If you open up 'My Computer' on the desktop in Windows 98 you will find a folder calld 'Scheduled Tasks' there.

Cheers

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Apr 23, 2002, 1:57 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Cron job for Apache? In reply to
He asked for XP ;)
Quote Reply
Yeah. I was just lurking around for the equivalent on a Win98 machine. Never used it, personally ..

- wil
Quote Reply
Me neither...it isnt very flexible.

I don't know about W98....not used it for years.
Quote Reply
Yeah, besides; I don't leave my machine on when I'm away from it so it wouldn't really be much use for me.

Just out of interest; how would you do this remotely? Say your Win box was elsewhere?

- wil
Quote Reply
winXP has three options for remote administration that I'm aware of. The first is a telnet service, the other two are remote desktops. One of the remote desktop systems is for troubleshooting, and is only accessible from a LAN, while the other is a more generalized service accessible from anywhere. For either of latter two, both the client and server must be winXP pcs, I think.

I've never used any of them so I couldn't tell ya anything specific.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] Cron job for Apache? In reply to
Could you do this remote administrating over a VPN connection?

- wil
Quote Reply
BTHOOM...

I've never set up a network, although I could have one, but I'd rather not have my dad lurking around my pc trashing projects and finding XXX pics and what not :-)

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: Cron job for Apache? In reply to
hmmm remote access and M$ sounds like a great match Wink

remote desktops ... hmmm Apple came out with it's own version of one. Pretty nice apparently.

dads and XXX pics are a bad mix too, your mother will have more of fit with him than you I bet !!!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Cron job for Apache? In reply to
Hi, all! Thanks but I was wondering whether it could be use to run cgi-scripts? All I see are program files? Anyway, After reading all your suggestions I agree that it seems not worth the effort to use WinXP to schedule task since the computer well needs to be on for it to run. Dumb of me not to think about that.Blush
Julian
Quote Reply
PC Anywhere is a decent third party package that will allow you to run remote processes.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
There is no requirement on the type of program you can use in Windows Scheduler, so long as you have told Windows what program opens it.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator