Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

what blog are you currently using

Quote Reply
what blog are you currently using
I'm curious. How many people are running blogs under PHP or PERL and which one?

Please, just if you're running a blog, would like to run a blog, and what software you are using.

There are other threads for the discussion of the various merits of the various bloggers.

I'm looking at two ways to go with the blogger, and some background would help.

For those confused, as I am/was, a good page is here, on th wordpress (PHP) site:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page (under "About Weblogs")

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] what blog are you currently using In reply to
You do realise you are off-topic in this forum, right?

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Quote:
An open forum for any other technologies a webmaster would find useful.

sounds "spot on" to me....

<shameless plug> check out my buddy's site www.warmgrey.com it looks to me like he's just posting a bunch of crap on his home page</shameless plug>

He doesn't appear to be using any particular software (?). Does this qualify as a blog?
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] what blog are you currently using In reply to
Quote:
sounds "spot on" to me....

I moved it here from the main Discussion forum. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] what blog are you currently using In reply to
Yes, that's a blog all right. Blogs come in many forms and serve many uses. A blog is basicly an online journal. However, the posts can take of form of news articles, reviews, and many other things.

Entries can either be done manually (ie, written locally then uploaded via FTP), or it can be created with the use of applications such as MovableType. Many blogs build static pages (or appear to be static, with the use of rewrite rules).

Many offer forms of interaction such as comments and sending/receiving "trackback pings" to notify other bloggers of updates or posts written in response to others.

I'm currently using Links SQL with added columns in the Links table as a blog on my site. Links residing in specific categories are handled as internal links, and redirect to the details page, where the actual posts are displayed. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is the approach Pugdog is taking for his plugin as well.

I'm developing a more traditional blogging plugin for Links SQL. I won't say anything further about my plugin here... I don't want to be seen as invading Pugdog's thread.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] what blog are you currently using In reply to
Quote:
I'm currently using Links SQL with added columns in the Links table as a blog on my site. Links residing in specific categories are handled as internal links, and redirect to the details page, where the actual posts are displayed. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is the approach Pugdog is taking for his plugin as well.

Nope, not using the Links table at all, except for a flag field. that way your site can run as it is, but allow any registered user to set up a blog.

Quote:

I'm developing a more traditional blogging plugin for Links SQL. I won't say anything further about my plugin here... I don't want to be seen as invading Pugdog's thread.

I don't care, really, but this was really a "POLL" to see what software people were using.

That's all, not a discussion, or anything, just a survey.

It would be nice if polls were enabled, for things like this.

Moveable Type seems too much, others seem too little. Wordpress (except for PHP) seems just about right, *if* it handled more authors/blogs/etc centrally. Most other blogs seems variations or derivatives of these two main development arms. So, since no one seems to be keeping track of blogging software, that I could find, I asked the question here.

What Blog software are you currently, or planning, to use?

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Quote:
Moveable Type seems too much, others seem too little.

I agree with you there. I've seen some that try to be too many things, bloated with all sorts of "features". Forums, reviews, schedulers, and the like are things that belong more appropriately in complete community applications.

Quote:
Most other blogs seems variations or derivatives of these two main development arms.

compatiblity is a big reason why so many are like this. pick a documented standard, and you'll instantly be able to communicate with thousands of users. Create a closed system, and you're limiting your reach.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] what blog are you currently using In reply to
I'm perverting the purpose of this thread, but to expand on the compatibility issue:

There seem to be several overlapping classifications of blogs.

1) A news-release type system, with a single blog, one author(s), and users can comment (or not) on the articles.
2) A community/personal type blogging system, with multiple blogs, each with an author, and users may or may not comment on them.
3) A blog of blogs, which is what some of the trackback/ping networks are becoming, and it looks like it's leading up to another proliferation of "me too" sites, which are nothing but repeated content from other sites, like looking into a hall of mirrors.

#3 is the type I'm not at all interested in. There are commercial products, standards and such, that if you want to go that route, feel free :) (or as expensive as it gets). This is the new "spam" type system.

Numbers 1 and 2 are slightly different aspects of the same idea, which is what weblogs started out as. A way to post a running diary on the web, and to get some feedback.

Some people wanted to "preach" from on high, others wanted to just have a release or keep up with friends, and others still wanted to create a news source of original (hopefully) content.

External compatibility is not as important to groups 1 and 2, as they are not publishing feeds, nor taking in feeds. That is more group 3, or larger systems. But, there are more of the users of types 1 and 2, potentially, than of type 3. Sometimes I think the type 3 are just talking to each other.

Right now I'm not as interested in the ping/trackback and RSS features of a blog. All that can be added in later, if the coding is clean. It's more important to me to define what "IS" a blog, feature wise, in constructing the data, displaying the data, and allowing interaction within that blog. *MOST* blogs don't need external communication. That's all done to get visitors/traffic to hopefully click on advertising banners, to generate revenue, etc.

I'm thinking of it within the terms of a Links SQL site, and/or community, that is INTERNALLY driven, not externally. Once people are on the site, they will wander around. Not trying to pull people into the site via blogs. To do that, set up a commercial (or GNU blog), and let others maintain it. In that case you can even use PHP, and run it as an external advertsing program attached to Links. I *really* did get wordpress up and running by unzipping it, editing 4 or 5 lines in ONE file, and clicking on the admin URL.

For this internal type community, pings and trackbacks are not as important (although an _INTERNAL_ link system would be interesting....).

I think some of this has gotten out of hand, and is creating more chaos than order, when these CMS type systems are really supposed to be imposing order upon the chaos.

There has even been some articles posted on Blogging/RSS being the killer of Email. I see it as just exchanging one sort of spam for another, since as the noise rises, and signal is lost, blogs/blog networks will be just as useless as Email for advertising -- "spam" filters are already being developed for blogs!!

So, sticking with concepts 1 and 2, and internally listing/advertising them, and allowing the authors to decide how to externall promote them, seems to be the most prudent, and realistic course at this time.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Mine is a slight variant of #1 (used by my organization instead of just one person). My site is a customized version of GForum developed by GT (Aki). Authors post a title, abstract & post body. The syatem publishes the titles and abstracts on the main page, click through to full post body and then click into standard GForum for comments/replys. THey are set as static pages generated by a cron.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] what blog are you currently using In reply to
Hmmm......

Unless GForum could be modified in a way I posted in another message, it would get confusing.

GForum can be run in reply-only mode, which means each posted message could set up a reply-only message for comments on that message.

Right now, I'm looking at not having "discussions", just comments/replies and ratings.

The Author posts a "message", and the readers/users can post "comments" and ratings.

If GForum could be modified, it would allow a "forum" area for each blog, where each message would trigger a reply-only message thread in the blogs forum. The message thread would be triggered by the first comment to the posted message, and the first message in the thread, would be a generic link-back to the original message, with excerpt.

I would think that would offer major enhancement, with minor programming/rewriting, (and to GT's benefit <G> another license ;))

Please leave a PM here.