Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Mailing List system - any capable of managing 100,000+ email addresses?

Quote Reply
Mailing List system - any capable of managing 100,000+ email addresses?
Hi All

Been looking at mailing list managers, and, while many have lots of great features, it seems that most cannot handle monster-sized email lists.

Would anyone know of a system that can handle lists of 100,000+ email addresses?

Many thanks Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Mailing List system - any capable of managing 100,000+ email addresses? In reply to
What kind of server would it be running on?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Mailing List system - any capable of managing 100,000+ email addresses? In reply to
Won't majordomo be able to do this?
Quote Reply
Have you looked at IPSwitch's IMail product?

http://www.ipswitch.com/...il_Server/index.html

In addition to this nice package, they have a decent server-based Anti-Virus check package for checking incoming and outgoing mail for viruses.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Hi,

Are you looking at announcement lists, or actual mailing lists? For actual mailing lists, use qmail and ezmlm. If you just need announcement software, we might have something for you. =) Drop me an email.

In any case though, you do need a good server to handle high volume mailing lists, and also a decent mail server (qmail or postfix).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Mailing List system - any capable of managing 100,000+ email addresses? In reply to
Thanks, everyone.

I should have thought of the difference. It would be a Newsletter system that we're looking for, not a Majordomo type of thing. Here are a few features that would be nice:

- personalization (dear %%name%%, your email is %%email%%, today's date is %%date%%)

- multiple newsletter subscribe/unsubscribe

- email validation of subscribe and unsubscribe (admin optional)

- headers/footers

- templates would be great

- bounce capability

----------

Linux server. What I thought might be good is to use a separate server (if the list gets big enough) to send out the newsletters.

----------

Here are a few examples of what I mean. These systems have lots of nice features, but I don't think that they can handle so big a list as I've mentioned (or even bigger). That's why we're looking for a more robust system.

MojoMail
http://mojo.skazat.com

MyMail
http://forum.codingclick.com/...hp?s=&forumid=23

BigSender 3. It looks really good. This might be the one to beat:
http://www.craigrichards.com/software/bigsender/

------------

Alex, is this the kind of thing you're referring to?

Many thanks, All Smile

Last edited by:

DogTags: Jun 1, 2003, 2:14 AM
Quote Reply
I think IMail would be one product to look at for your needs.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Mailing List system - any capable of managing 100,000+ email addresses? In reply to
Thanks, Stealth. Am going to check it out.

Much appreciated, one and all Smile

Quote Reply
I'm beta testing the GT product that Alex is refering to (I think). It sounds like just what you need...that's why I got it too! As far as capasity, it should be able to handle it (SQL db back end) with good GT code, bounce management, email validation, etc.....but mine use is much smaller, but it sounds more like a server thing than the list script.

Dave

Last edited by:

bretzke: Jun 4, 2003, 4:39 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] Mailing List system - any capable of managing 100,000+ email addresses? In reply to
Sounds interesting, Dave. Thanks. Let us know how the beta testing goes Smile