Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

ActiveX

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
ActiveX
I'm experimenting with ActiveX controls and was wondering if anyone else had done this and what experiences you've had...good or bad.

Any tips tricks or examples you'd care to share?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] ActiveX In reply to
Hehe you are free to test.....

http://www.wiredon.net/dev/demo.html

You'll need to use IE and be patient for it to load. You'll get a security warning but thats just because it isn't "signed".

You'll have to ignore the "Fetch" button...it doesn't work from a webpage....it was cool too...ugh.
Quote Reply
Hm. Took me _ages_ to download and then you just told me what connection you were on and popped up a new window? Hm, don't really see the benefits so far :-)

Besides; it downloaded some things and then told me I should restart my computer! I never got a message about singing anything :-\

- wil
Quote Reply
Erm, pressing the middle button, is it meant to go like the attached image? Unimpressed

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] ActiveX In reply to
Yeah thats why I said don't press it :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] ActiveX In reply to
>>
Hm. Took me _ages_ to download and then you just told me what connection you were on and popped up a new window? Hm, don't really see the benefits so far :-)
<<

You must be on a slow connection - the file is about 700k and takes me about 10 seconds.

The reason it doesn't do much is because the fetch button screws up when viewing from a webpage...if I took all that code out it would be about 20k

As I mentioned in the first post...Im only experimenting.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 24, 2002, 10:30 AM
Quote Reply
I'm on a T3 connection, so I don't think it's slow somehow <g>.

I think I must have ActiveX uninstalled or something as it downloaded a bunch of files and asked me to restart my machine (which I didn't and it all worked).

Have you tried playing around with Microsoft .NET?

- wil
Quote Reply
>>I'm on a T3 connection, so I don't think it's slow somehow <g>. <<

Well as far as I know it doesn't take _ages_ to download 700-800k on a T3 so you must have been exaggerating ;)

ActiveX is very useful when applied in necessary situations. Obviously for what I did at the URL above it was a waste of time but its a learning experience (although it was needed to tell you what internet connection you had using the Inet control....and would have been needed for the "fetch" button)

As for .NET yeah I've been looking at VB, C++ and .NET but as I have no clue as to what .NET actually is then I'm sticking with the other two. I've read tons of stuff about .NET but it's so waffly and "jargonated" I lose interest.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 24, 2002, 11:08 AM
Quote Reply
This is about as clear as it gets:

.NET is Microsoft's set of unified programming languages that allow developers to create enterprise-class Web and desktop applications across C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET and C++.NET. It includes a powerful set of libraries called the .NET Framework that makes it easier and faster to program than ever before.
Quote Reply
Yep. Remember the following thread? You replied to me back then saying it took you 2 seconds to come up with an answer ;-)

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=165181

- wil
Quote Reply
Yeah it did take two seconds. I don't see your point?
Quote Reply
Not really a point. Just confused as you appeared to understand this .NET business a while back and was wondering how you got off-course, as it were. Actually, talking of courses; I might look into a decent one for .NET - anyone know of any?

- wil
Quote Reply
>>
Just confused as you appeared to understand this .NET business a while back and was wondering how you got off-course, as it were.
<<

I said it took two seconds to find that URL on Yahoo...never claimed to understand what .NET was :)

As far as I can tell .NET is inanimate...it's just branding crap....M$ trying to monopolize by making everyone think .NET is something it isn't and creating hype and rumours and ultimately publicity.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 24, 2002, 12:39 PM
Quote Reply
You think? I dunno - I've got a feeling there's more to it than that. I *think* it's the way that they are trying to bring everything together and make information sharing and resource sharing more of a reality. Like having a common platform for data across your organisation and stuff. Maybe? I honestly don't know for certain ..

- wil
Quote Reply
Maybe its like GT's community plugin :)
Quote Reply
I don't know about other folks, but I have activex controls set to not display unless they are signed...

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator

Last edited by:

sponge: Apr 24, 2002, 1:58 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] ActiveX In reply to
Yeah nice...but I ain't gonna pay $400 to sign it when I'm just playin' Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: ActiveX In reply to
Isn't .net just M$ trying to get away with it's own java language? Or using the idea M$ is trying to pull it's other technologies and builinding up their java imitation so .net = java + asp + activex + phone home (ahem ... use our applications that we server from our machines so we can enter(spy) on you legally?)

I wonder? Will .NET be really useful or will it just be used because it's M$ based?

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] ActiveX In reply to
Any ICQ users might wanna have a play with my latest vb creation...Smile

http://www.wiredon.net/pager.zip
Quote Reply
Where did you download the software to create these ActiveX applications?

- wil
Quote Reply
Its MSVS.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 29, 2002, 3:31 AM
Quote Reply
Microsoft Visual Studio?

- wil
Quote Reply
Indeed. Why?
Quote Reply
Hm. Don't you have to be a registered MSDN member to download that? How much was your liscence?

- wil
Quote Reply
>>Don't you have to be a registered MSDN member to download that?<<

To download VS .NET yeah....but thats different.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 29, 2002, 3:55 AM
> >