Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Links SQL Server requirements?

Quote Reply
Links SQL Server requirements?
Is there anyone that have a idea of what kind of load handling capacity I can expect from a dedicated setup using:

* 1 Rack-Server "Compaq Proliant 1850". Dual Pentium III 2 x 500 MHz. 512 MB RAM.

Running Linux/Apache/MySql + Links SQL

I´m new to running a dedicated server, but I need to learn quick because I am going to launch a new site next year. Is the above hardware enough for a very busy site?

BTW, We also have another single-processor server lying around:

*1 Rack-Server "Compaq Proliant 1850". Single Pentium III 500 MHz. 392 MB RAM.

Can I use the above dual-pentium server standalone or in combination with the single-pentium server, or do I have to buy new servers?

Thanks in advance!

Peters
Quote Reply
Re: [Peters] Links SQL Server requirements? In reply to
Hi,

The main factor is how large a database do you want to run? Links SQL in static mode is very efficent, as the only thing that requires significant computer resources is the search. And the number of users you can handle depends on the size of the database.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Links SQL Server requirements? In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi,

The main factor is how large a database do you want to run? Links SQL in static mode is very efficent, as the only thing that requires significant computer resources is the search. And the number of users you can handle depends on the size of the database.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Alex,

I think from start it will only be about 3000 ordinary links (in 200 categories) included in the directory. This will perhaps grow with another max 2000-5000 links in the first year. I hope the number of registered users will be much more. It´s very difficult to guess, but I plan to encourage the visitors to register via the community plugin for more features. But if I could get up to 10000-20000 registered users it would be easy to get the money for new state of the art servers so this would be a max no of registered users in the first setup. I would also prefer to run Links SQL in dynamic mode. Do you think it is possible with the above hardware config?

Thanks,

Peter
Quote Reply
Re: [Peters] Links SQL Server requirements? In reply to
300 Categories and less then 10k links will be no problem, even in dynamic mode. The only thing is you should make sure to setup your server to run under mod_perl properly. This will increase the amount of traffic you get to the site dramatically.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Links SQL Server requirements? In reply to
In Reply To:
300 Categories and less then 10k links will be no problem, even in dynamic mode. The only thing is you should make sure to setup your server to run under mod_perl properly. This will increase the amount of traffic you get to the site dramatically.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Alex,

That sounds great! With mod_perl setup properly do you think it actually could handle peak levels with 10000-15000 daily unique visitors? If so I'm homefree!

BTW, I have tried to search the Gossamer site for a optimizing guide for setting up dedicated Links SQL server(s) but I cannot find it.

Thanks,

Peters