Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Quickbooks Conversion Script....convert QB company file to postgres or mysql table(s)

Quote Reply
Quickbooks Conversion Script....convert QB company file to postgres or mysql table(s)
Hi All

Does anyone know of a conversion script that can take a Quickbooks company file and convert it to Postgres or Mysql tables?

I'm trying to find a convenient way to switch everything over to a web system. What would be really great is if there were a browser interface that had an upload button to snag the QB file right off your hard drive.

Many thanks. Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Quickbooks Conversion Script....convert QB company file to postgres or mysql table(s) In reply to
I'm not sure that one exists. Plus if someone were to make one, they would have to decrypt the data.

And also just curious, why would you want to do that. Quickbooks is a really powerful software. Doesn't seem that you could make a web based app thats just as powerful.
Quote Reply
Re: [american12] Quickbooks Conversion Script....convert QB company file to postgres or mysql table(s) In reply to
Just export your data. QB creates a tab-delimited flatfile.

File > Utilities > Export

Then, select what you want to export.

Then, pull it up in a text editor to see it.

The converter would take the exported file, build the tables, and import the data.

It would also be cool if the converter could snag the web data from the *sql tables and convert it into an importable file so that a QB installation on a local computer could be updated.

File > Utilities > Import

A good web app could probably be made more powerful...Smile

The hunt is on.... Smile

Last edited by:

DogTags: Oct 20, 2002, 10:54 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Quickbooks Conversion Script....convert QB company file to postgres or mysql table(s) In reply to
I had a look a while back as QB2002 canadian, could not import a qb2002 us quickbooks file, and I wasn't about to go out and buy another copy just to do an import. The File->Import/export does not get all the data that's in quickbooks. I was never able to find anything useful.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Quickbooks Conversion Script....convert QB company file to postgres or mysql table(s) In reply to
Good to know. Thanks, Alex.

I wonder what was missing with the imports/exports you mentioned?....I never saw this mentioned in any manuals, newsletters, etc....

Also, could the reason why the Canadian system can't import a US file be that they are two different accounting systems? I dunno.

Many thanks. Smile

Quote Reply
The iif export or a report list and send the output to excel should work. Then you can do whatever you need to get it to mySQL.

Going from US to CA or the other way should be doable but there may be some mods to the file that are needed. I would take out all HDR records and what for date format, currency and sales tax vs VAT issues.
Jack
www.qbTeK.com (QB Products, Services, Programming, Conversions)