Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Product Grid

Quote Reply
Product Grid
I wanted to have a product grid or spreadsheet for my website. The grid would have 10-20 different product features as column headings and a variable number of rows being the different products. The number of products might be a maximum of 200, probably more like 50-100. I am thinking a flatfile database would be OK for this application.

A user could <click> on the column headings to sort the products based on the entry in that column. One of the row entries would be "Comments" and would link to a GT forum for discussion on that product.

There also needs to be a feature where the editor/admin could update, delete and add additional records to the grid. A simple search feature would be helpful so that searches could be made on more than one column but is probably not absolutely neccessary.

I am on a hosting account, can run cgi's and have a single mySQL database that is shared by GT Links and Forum. mySQLman comes with GT LinksSQL/Forum, but a simple flat-file db script might be more appropriate given the scale of this project.

Once I sort of know what to ask for, I will probably be posting a similar message to the Custom Modifications Jobs forum unless someone knows of a ready make package out there somewhere.

Thanks,
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [BeaverheadRiver] Product Grid In reply to
dbman with JPDeni's mod would do the trick
the mod sorts by the column.

Toughest part probably is setting up all the colum information. Ugh, Crazy imagine trying to sort all those pipes out if you miss one.

Oh well have fun and hope that this helps.

GNU/GPL version of dbman is still a mystery search. I've found one tht's close but even dbman still has better functions.

Cheers

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile