Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Pop-up blocker blocks my good pop up - but only from the drop down menu

Quote Reply
Pop-up blocker blocks my good pop up - but only from the drop down menu
I have a list menu on a "form" that allows users to select a document to view. All the documents are PDF files and they are set to open in a new window. I don't have a problem with it at all, but I have a few people in my office are being blocked by IE7's pop-up blocker.

Here's the javascript:

function MM_jumpMenu(targ,selObj,restore){ //v3.0
var dest = selObj.options[selObj.selectedIndex].value;
var temp = new Array();
temp = dest.split('?');
if (temp[1] == 'new' && temp[2] != null) {
MM_openBrWindow(temp[2],'leavePop','resizable=yes,width=600,height=325');
return false;
window.open(temp[0]);
if (restore) selObj.selectedIndex=0;
} else if (temp[0].indexOf('pdf') != -1) {
window.open(temp[0]);
} else {
eval(targ+".location='"+selObj.options[selObj.selectedIndex].value+"'");
}
}

And the html:
<form name="form1">
<select name="statments" class="select1" onChange="MM_jumpMenu('parent',this,1)" style="width:100%">
<option selected> - Select - </option>
<option value="financials/statements/PR-3rdqtr2008.pdf">3rd
Qtr 2008</option>
</select>
</form>
<script language="JavaScript"><!--
document.form1.reset();
//--></script>

My browser is set up just like theirs - security and pop-up blocking settings are the same. I've taken our website off my list of approved websites and although that's the fix for them (putting the site on) it doesn't change anything for me. Is there a way to fix this in the scripting? Or can this only be fixed through IE settings? I've spent all day looking at fixes and so far nothing's worked. Any help, leads or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: [abcommendatore] Pop-up blocker blocks my good pop up - but only from the drop down menu In reply to
I think the popup blocker may not like the fact that you're opening a new window onchange. Have you tried changing it so that the window open happens on form submit instead?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Pop-up blocker blocks my good pop up - but only from the drop down menu In reply to
It's not really a form with a submit button. It's more an inline drop menu. When the user selects a document, it automatically opens in a new window and the list resets to -- select --. Could I get around this by making it a more literal form and using a submit button?
Quote Reply
Re: [abcommendatore] Pop-up blocker blocks my good pop up - but only from the drop down menu In reply to
I'm thinking that's less 'spammy' behaviour and might work. Just make sure you stop the form from submitting onsubmit.

Adrian