Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

PEAR and PHP?

Quote Reply
PEAR and PHP?
I'm totally confused as to what 'PEAR' is. I'm using this PDF generation module from;

http://www.rustyparts.com/pdf.php

When running the example2.php script, I get the following error;

Quote:
Creating the PDF...

Fatal error: Failed opening required 'PEAR.php' (include_path='/home/awnt/php:/home/awnt/htdocs/tools/phpMyAdmin') in /home/facer-ins/htdocs/pdf/HTML_ToPDF.php on line 16

...which, sure enough on line 16, has the following line;

Code:
require_once 'PEAR.php';

Does anyone know what PEAR is? Its not included in the script's distribution file, so I'm stumped Unimpressed

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] PEAR and PHP? In reply to
PEAR is the Perl equivalent of CPAN.

- wil
Quote Reply
http://pear.php.net/

- wil
Quote Reply
If you're looking for an alternative free pdf generation class that requires neither PEAR nor PDFLib, you might look at http://www.fpdf.org/. Quick and easy to use and very flexible, in my experience.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] PEAR and PHP? In reply to
Thanks for the link, it looks pretty cool :) I don't see a 'save' function thought. There is a 'write' one, but that doesn't do what you would would think Unsure Do you know if there is a feature (and if so, what?).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
By 'save' do you mean a function that creates the actual pdf file? If so, then you're looking for Output().

Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Aaah..I see. Using just Output() prints it to the browsers output, but if you define a value like Output("/path/to/file.pdf"), it writes it Smile I think I'll have a play with it now :p

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
You can also use:

Output('/path/to/file.pdf', true)

which generates a "Save As" alert window instead of displaying the file in the browser.

Quote Reply
Wow...sweet Cool

The only thing I don't like, is that you have to manually create every table with the built in modules. PDFLib and htmldoc allows you to define a HTML page, and it will turn that into a PDF file. The PDF I am trying to generate is pretty large, and it will probably take a good few hours to even get the basic PDF done Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk