Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Moving files on a hard drive

Quote Reply
Moving files on a hard drive
I'm trying to make some space on a 40g hard drive which is loaded with windows xp so I can make a partition to load Red Hat.

There is enough free space on the drive 25Gig but the problem is that there is 20 or so directories close to the end of the drive that refuse to move (see attachment).

I've tried numerous defrags and pre OS (dos) defrags but they still refuse to move.
Anyone know of a tool that will move them or some way of moving them.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: [lanerj] Moving files on a hard drive In reply to
Partition magic should do the job.

Adrian
Quote Reply
RedHat used to come with several tools for formatting/partitioning (disk druid, etc). See if you can get the install part to load and then see what your options are. However, I'd recommend Partition Magic too (even if you have to go buy a copy - it's worth the expense even if you use it only once or twice in a lifetime). I'd be surpised if XP didn't have some kind of utility for this as well.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Moving files on a hard drive In reply to
Thanks for the replies.
The problem is not the partitioning of the drive, I'll use Fips20 for that which is a dos utility which comes with the Red Hat distro.
The problem is with moving the files which are stuck at the bottom of the drive so I can gain enough space to create the partition.
The only alternatives I have if can not move the files up towards the top of the drive is to either get another drive and load Red Hat onto that or do a complete format of the existing drive which would be a total pain in the @#!$.
What i'm looking for is some way or a utility that will compact all the files on the drive onto the top section of the drive leaving the free space on the rest of the drive totally empty.

thanks
Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com.au
Quote Reply
Sorry... what I meant to say was that you don't have to move the files manually... check out www.partitionmagic.com and see if it suits your needs. I have an old copy I'd mail to you, but I think the postage would be as much as purchasing a new copy.