Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Locate?
Mmm..I'm having some odd trouble with the 'locate' function on a UNIX server. I know there is a file called backup.tar.gz, but I want to find it. I entered locate backup.tar.gz, but all it returned was the results that were already there. My mate was telling me that it is stored in a database. Is he right? If so, is there a way to update it? I had a look at the man pages for the 'locate' function, but I couldn't see anything refering to it.

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Locate? In reply to
Locate uses the locatedb database, it will be updated via cron or you can do it with...

shell> updatedb
Quote Reply
Yes, locate does run off a database. Not sure how to rebuild the database, howver. Have you tried rebooting? Shouldn't need to, but I dunno.

In the mean time, why don't you try find to find the file you're looking for? That should do a full scan of your system (and might take a while if you don't limit it to paticular directories).

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Locate? In reply to
Thanks Smile

I don't suppose anyone has had any experience with the 'Backup System' module in Webmin before have they? I have installed it ok, but when it makes the .tar.gz file, it is only 20k Unimpressed I know this is wrong...as the folder I am trying to gzip is my ace-installer.com one...which is well over 20k when gzipped!

Crazy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Yes Smile

He is right the Linux stores this info in database.

Here the way is:

updatedb

or

updatedb & - to send database update to background!

zaaron

---------
GetLokal Reviews
Quote Reply
Re: [zaaron] Locate? In reply to
Didn't I already say that Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Locate? In reply to
Yeah ... You did it just befor me ... Blush

When I write it, there no been other posts :\

zaaron

---------