Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Javascript or what can do this?

Quote Reply
Javascript or what can do this?
I want to make sort of an e-card website that is different and more hi-tech than the others. But I have everything set up (pictures and other programming) except a few things.

I want to make it so that when you type in the window (*not* in a text box) or a frame, it writes on the screen (and stores the info in it's cache).

Once they push "Send", it (from cache) writes to a random named (for security reasons) text (.txt) internet file (but it finds and doesn't write over other text files, or else that people would lose their cards Tongue ). Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [megaboy2400] Javascript or what can do this? In reply to
Not really clear on what you mean but if you are just looking for session files then try CGI::Session::File (or even GT::TempFile Wink)
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Javascript or what can do this? In reply to
Well, I'll try to put it in different words.

What kind of programming can sense keystrokes, log them, and store them in a file on the web?
Quote Reply
C++, VB, VBScript, J++

Take your pick :)

Of course if you take "keystrokes" to mean form input then you could use PHP and Perl too.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 29, 2003, 2:42 PM
Quote Reply
Yeah, but are thsoe web based? I wasn't aware you could have c++ pages..Wink

But form input, I really don't want a form input box for people to input an ecard message, i want it global (wheer you type anywhere, and it writes a message)..
Quote Reply
Quote:
I wasn't aware you could have c++ pages..

Yup, you can compile a C++ script and use it as a web based form processor (for example).

You can't directly detect keystrokes in the same way a windows app does without some sort client/server type relationship which is how COM servers like ActiveX work.

Quote:
i want it global (wheer you type anywhere, and it writes a message)..

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. If you just mean typing anywhere on the screen creates the message then you'd most probably need to use ActiveX or some sort of CAB file to perform the action, however you'd need to have it signed for authenticity which costs a lot of wonga.
Quote Reply
What about frames? For example, on the left frame, you have a script that reads any form input in an input box on the right (any page on the net)?

For e-cards, I would think that's a little too much programming (active x and stuff), oh well.