Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

HandyBackup - any better backup programs?

Quote Reply
HandyBackup - any better backup programs?
Hi All

I'm trying HandyBackup, and it seems pretty good:

http://www.handybackup.com

Does anyone have any opinions? Are there better backup programs?

I also tried PolderBackup, but it didn't seem to be able to handle the loads of deep directories that I have. The dang thing frozed up. Maybe I goofed up somewhere:

http://www.xs4all.nl/...ppo/PolderBackup.htm

Many thanks Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] HandyBackup - any better backup programs? In reply to
Is it just for a single desktop or for an office? We've been using BackupPC in the office to backup all the computers to a central backup server. A couple nice things about it:

- It uses hard links so if you have a file that is the same on three computers, it's only stored once on backup.
- It does incrementals as well as full backups.
- Web interface so users can restore their own files automatically from the most recent copy or from any incremental.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] HandyBackup - any better backup programs? In reply to
In Reply To:
Is it just for a single desktop or for an office?

Hey Alex Smile

It's for a single desktop WinXP. What I'm doing is backing up to a second hard drive and maybe to a CDR. There's no server involved.

However, being able to backup laptops and desktops to a single server-side file will come in handy for some other things. Sounds like a neat script Smile

Thanks, Alex

------------------------------------------

Last edited by:

DogTags: Jul 31, 2003, 6:48 AM
Quote Reply
Thanks for the heads up about backuppc, never seen that one before! There's a debian package of it too, so installation was a breeze. Now let's see if it backups the test machines tonight. Results soon ...

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] HandyBackup - any better backup programs? In reply to
I found that its algorithm to figure out when to backup a system is horrible. We have our systems being backed up between 11pm to 8am every night, so you'd expect a system that hasn't been backed up in a few days to be queued up at 11pm the next day, but it was starting all system backups around 7am (and thus not finishing them all). Somehow though, it managed to start backing up at 11pm now...

It is coded in Perl, so I could go in and look why it's doing that, but being lazy me and all, I won't Smile

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] HandyBackup - any better backup programs? In reply to
Heh. Well, it worked fine for backing up two test machines last night. I instructed it to backup about 2gig worth of data from each machine and it seems to have completed it fine. No idea on how to check statistics on overheads yet, so not sure how well it would scale. If this is succesful, I'd be looking at deploying it to about 18 machines. Although, I could just use it to mirror the file server rather than my home-brewed bash scripting.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] HandyBackup - any better backup programs? In reply to
Just tried HandyBackup.... it pretty cool :) Just brought a license for my PC (worth it for $30).

The backup procedure is pretty cool. Just decide which main folders you want to keep, and it will FTP them to another server, email an 'image', or just burn to a CD. The CD burning stuff is great....cos it has a multiple CD library option (i,e if one CD fills up, you just put another one in).

I'm not taking *any* chances now, not after yesterday when I thought my computer had died (came up with an error saying it couldn't find the hard drive), turned out it was only a cable worked its way loose; but it still scared the hell out of me Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] HandyBackup - any better backup programs? In reply to
I just burn my data on to dvd Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] HandyBackup - any better backup programs? In reply to
HandyBackup is nice and very easy to use BUT the support is not so good. Been waiting 4 days for answers to my questions.

Simon.
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] HandyBackup - any better backup programs? In reply to
OK. Finally got a reply tp my questions after 6 days. Maybe they were just busy.

Simon.
Quote Reply
ReSync looks like an interesting backup tool (open source)....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/...20030814/tc_nf/22088
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Wink http://backup.novosoft-us.com
he-he .... freeware!!!
Quote Reply
hi!

Can someone pls help me out...I just installed Handy Backup ver4.1 along with the latest Adaptec drivers but am unable to use the CD burning feature. Any ideas as to why it doesnt work?

Could there be a conflict with other programs?

thanks.
Quote Reply
For small office?

To be able to take a real incremental backup with multiple revisions for each file I use Relative Rev Backup. This program manages most of the backup chore.http://www.datamills.com[/url]

Enjoy

Sensui
Quote Reply
Re: [agent007] HandyBackup - any better backup programs? In reply to
I had the same problem, so I emailed support and got the following reply -

"If Adaptec ASPI driver has not enabled the CDRW option, please install Nero's ASPI driver (by Ahead Software): Please copy the file wnaspi32.dll attached to this letter to Handy Backup directory on your machine: C:\Program Files\Novosoft\Handy Backup\. Then, please try to select the CDRW option again. This should fix the problem."

That fixed it for me, give it a try.

Simon.

PS: driver file attached to this post

Last edited by:

jai: Nov 28, 2003, 4:50 AM