Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Getting specific emails sent to SMS?

Quote Reply
Getting specific emails sent to SMS?
Hi. I'm just looking at the possibility of getting an email address, where alerts can be sent to me via SMS. It needs to be a UK company (unless there is a foreign one that will send to UK mobiles).

Basically, I need to be sent a SMS's message whenever someone sends a priority email to this address (this account will only be used for priority customers, so its not going to just be spam or general emails) .... is there such a service around?

TIA

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Getting specific emails sent to SMS? In reply to
Who's your provider?

Orange has such a service when you sign up for Orange.net

Of course you could just check your mail with WAP or GPRS?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Getting specific emails sent to SMS? In reply to
I'm on Vodafone. I was hoping there was an email service provider (don't mind paying for it), which will send SMS notifications when a new email arrives...

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I've seen a few of these around. I think Yahoo mail can send you alerts via SMS when you've got new mail.

I have no idea about a service provider which checks the priority of a message -- I think you'll have to write a custom app. for that.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Getting specific emails sent to SMS? In reply to
Ok, great. I'll have a look into a Yahoo account :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
My provider, Rogers, has an online form to send SMS messages to my phone. I'm sure your provider has something similar. Just search your provider's webpage for it. Then all you need to do is write a simple (perl) script that's called by qmail to forward the email to your phone. The good thing about doing it this way, is that you can do checks on the email (spam checks, sender checks, etc).

Also, my provider gives our phones an email account (e.g. <phone number>@pcs.rogers.com) that your provider might also provide.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Getting specific emails sent to SMS? In reply to
I'm not currently with a UK ISP. I'm out in Spain at the moment, and am using my mates ADSL connection (loving every minute of it.. compared to dial-up...lol).

Thanks anyway....think I'm gonna look into the Yahoo Mail account.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk