Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Edit Outlook XP's settings without running outlook?

Quote Reply
Edit Outlook XP's settings without running outlook?
Hi. I have managed to get my email software all buggered up. Basically, there is 14mb email in my invox, and every time I open the program up, it tries to load this. There *should* be enough resources on my laptop to do this. I have tried closing every possible program down, disconnecting my network cable, and more.

Is there any way I can edit the settings for this program, without opening it up? If I can disable the preview panel, then I think it should be ok for me to go in and delete the email.

Any support is much appeciated :) At the moment I'm without anything to download my emails with :(

Chees

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Edit Outlook XP's settings without running outlook? In reply to
You can use command line switches.

Go to "Run", program location, and then put either:

"/Nopreview"

or

"/safe"

Hit the MS knowledge base to find a complete list of Outlook switches.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Edit Outlook XP's settings without running outlook? In reply to
Another handy tip is "Scanpst.exe", the Inbox repair tool. A quick search of your office folder should find it.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Sep 10, 2003, 4:57 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Edit Outlook XP's settings without running outlook? In reply to
Thanks. I managed to get it going again last night. I basically had to connect my network cable, and then leave Outlook running for a while. After a bit, it pulled in about 10 new emails, which got rid of the problem with Outlook opening on the large email. It was then the case of turning the preview panel off, and deleting the email :) Took me 2 hours to get there though!

Those tips are good to know...I'm gonna make a note of that :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!