Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Easy ways to stop automated form entries?

Quote Reply
Easy ways to stop automated form entries?
Hey guys,

Long time no see! Quick question for you. Is there any easy way to stop automated form entries. My website, www.pineinn.com.au has a few contact forms and a list to sign up for a mailing list, and it's getting about 10 fake entries a day. The only way I have seen is forcing people to type in the number that an image is showing. I really don't want to force customers to do that simply to contact me. Is there any other tricks? I've been out of web development for a couple of years - running a hotel in Sydney.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] Easy ways to stop automated form entries? In reply to
Hi,

A quick (and less annoying method compared to having to enter a security image string), is having it in a 2 step form.

i.e

:

Page 1:

Code:
subject
title
name
email
comments

Next >> (button)

..then;

Page 2:

Code:
Thanks for your email, please click "confirm" before your email is sent. Thanks!

So this way, the spammers who just try and abuse systems where there is a enter data > submit method, will still think they are sending it ok, but if they don't confirm - then it won't get sent =)

Hope that helps

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!