Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Domain Name and Search Results

Quote Reply
Domain Name and Search Results
Hi,
Does a domain name that contains a users keyword help in getting a higher ranking position?
If a user does a search for "french wine" will it help if the domain is "frenchwine.com" rather than "ABC wine"?
Thanks.
Simon.
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] Domain Name and Search Results In reply to
Hi,

AFAIK, this is the case.

For example, one of my old domains, buy-a-poster.com, used to get Google traffic for terms such as "buy poster xxx", "buy a poster", and quite a few more, related to the posters we had on the site.

However, Google/other engines may be changing their tune, as this can obviously be used to the site owners advantage ... in gaining better exposure.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Domain Name and Search Results In reply to
Thanks Andy!!
I would be interested to hear other users views on this topic as well.
In addition (not just for seach engine ranking but in general) -
1/ Is it better to choose singular or plural domain names or is it just personal choice? For example - "frenchwine.com" or "frenchwines.com"? are there any advantages or disadvantages?
2/ What are your views on using hyphens in domain names - "french-wine.com"?
Thanks.
Simon.

PS. I don't drink French wine, in fact I don't drink at all.
Quote Reply
Hi,

I think the main reason for choosing something like that, would be to remember it.

For example,

french-wine.com is easier to remember than frenchwineshopping.com.

Not sure how much help that'll be <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
A few years ago it was certainly our belief that a hyphenated domain name was easier to find in search engines than a domain name without a hyphen.

I am not sure that this is still the case- our hyphenated domain names seem to be fairly dispersed with non-hyphenated versions in the search engine results pages.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Domain Name and Search Results In reply to
heheh.. just brought frenchwineshopping.com, french-wine-shopping.com and some more... wasn't expecting them to be availble <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Domain Name and Search Results In reply to
Andy,
Why did you buy both?
Do you usually try to buy both and sell both to the same buyer?
Is it best to try to buy similar names in case people make mistakes (e.g forget the hyphens) when looking for your site or competitors try to move in on your ideas/business?
How about my question about singular and plural? What do you think?
Thanks Simon.

PS. Do I get a commission for giving you the french wine idea???? Smile
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
Why did you buy both?

For the different in price ($12 for one domain, or $24 for the 2), its well worth buying them both :) If the site takes off, then when it comes to selling it (and also "typing errors" for the same domain), the value is a lot more, because you have a complete set of domains :)

Quote:
Is it best to try to buy similar names in case people make mistakes (e.g forget the hyphens) when looking for your site or competitors try to move in on your ideas/business?

You have to be pretty careful with that though. For example, if buying micresoft.com, then the chances are, you'd have a lawyer on your arse quicker than you can click your finger <G>

Quote:
How about my question about singular and plural? What do you think?

I think its personally out of taste. With -'s in the domain name, it makes reading the name easier.

For example, people are more likely to remember french-wine-shopping.com, compared to frenchwineshopping.com... *but*, when they revisit, they may type it in without the -'s, as its easier to remember (and thus back to the point of why I buy both combinations :)).

Hope that helps.
Quote:
PS. Do I get a commission for giving you the french wine idea???? Smile

heheh.. I gotta make some money from it first <G>

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Domain Name and Search Results In reply to
Quote:
A few years ago it was certainly our belief that a hyphenated domain name was easier to find in search engines than a domain name without a hyphen.

there has been a lot of comment on this both ways. Hypenated names are not as good, and hypenated names make it easier for the search engines.

At first, maybe it was true, but the linguistic filters can now take a string of characters and parse it into it's real words pretty well.

A hypenated name can help if your domain name can read several different ways. I have a few that can be different things depending on where you break the words.

I would still suggest getting the non-hypenated version and hypenated version, just to protect your brand.

Which is "better" depends on how you use it, and which is easier for your customers. 4-FREE may be a great logo, but if you have 4free, forfree and for-free, it doesn't matter how a surfer types it, they get to you.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.